How do I keep her from getting sores on her bottom?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
pattyd7

How do I keep her from getting sores on her bottom?

Post by pattyd7 »

Prissy is paralyzed and walks sitting on her bottom using her front feet to walk. I've tried the diaper and bloomers. Can anyone clue me in? LOL :roll:
pattyd7

CarolC

Re: How do I keep her from getting sores on her bottom?

Post by CarolC »

I agree with the diapers. Good protection for that little bottom. If you are using disposable diapers they have a nice slick surface but not sure how long they will hold up. If you use a washable diaper and put a nice fluffy pad in it, that will give her good protection. They will still wear out but not as fast. I sympathize.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... 23&#p77514
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Edited post because I gave the wrong link, if you already looked at it, please look again. It should show a diaper.
pattyd7

Post by pattyd7 »

Carol,
i tried the disposable diapers and bloomers. Both came off! IDK what to do.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, I'm thinking I must not be getting the picture. I was picturing her moving forward with her 2 hind legs straight out in front of her in a seated postion. In that position I don't see how a diaper could come off. :? If she was dragging on her hip or stomach with her legs trailing behind, then a diaper could more easily drag off. Is it possible she is taking it off herself by undoing the tapes? Or was the waist of the diaper still fastened when you found it on the floor where she dragged out of it? On the disposable diapers, what would happen if you put it on backward with the tapes to the back? Maybe then she could not reach them to unfasten it? Or it might simply be a better fit, on some dogs a diaper will fit better put on backward.

I don't suppose you have a picture of the position she is in when she is moving around? There are brands of diapers that come with a bib and suspenders so they stay on better but I have never needed it with my dog. My dog only has one leg but she keeps it straight forward like I thought you were saying your dog does. I'm confused, can you tell? :blush: :lol: Please straighten me out because there are a lot of products and I'm sure there is one or more than one that will work for your dog. If her legs trailed behind, I would recommend a drag bag, but I keep thinking you're saying her legs are out in front of her.

Here is my one dog, with her diaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ09GdVuuKE
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, we need more info. There are lots of tricks for diapers--Onesies, turtlenecks, suspenders, drag bags, etc, but we need to know how and why the diapers are coming off.
pattyd7

Post by pattyd7 »

Well, when I put the bloomers on her they came off. They seemed good fitting but I guess since she is sitting and walks sitting and using her front arms to walk. Then, if she gets in the puppy bed she drags herself into it.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here's an idea. You could buy some doggy diapers that stay up like bib overalls from www.joybies.com. But instead, what about asking your daughter if she has any onesies left over from your grandbaby, the kind with the snap crotch. That should keep the diaper on when she gets into bed...? :D
pattyd7

Post by pattyd7 »

Yes, I found some diapers that have the bottom w/ suspenders. I've not got them yet , but I hope they work.. That's a great idea.. I'm going to look into it. I ordered from China...LOL so I'm not sure when they'll be in. :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

If you can get any turtleneck Onesies you might want to reserve them; they can be hard to find. If all else fails, the neck can keep critters from coming out of the neck hole, minus the diapers, as can happen with regular Onesies. :D