Paralyzed incontinent corgi mix

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CandiMalburg

Paralyzed incontinent corgi mix

Post by CandiMalburg »

Hi, everyone. I have a 9 year old corgi mix (Tito) that became paralyzed slowly from what we now believe is IVDD, but vet was unsure. He recently, within the past several months, lost complete control of his bladder and bowels.

I am the sole caretaker of Tito as my husband wanted me to euthanize him and I rejected that idea, so here I am taking care of my 5 year old son all day and now a paralyzed dog.

I've been reading about bladder expressing and I've been able to do it, but problem is, he seems to just go when anything touches him, like his k9 cart wheel chair. I think just from the pressure of him sitting in it, it makes him express urine.

At the moment I have been using diapers at night with a pee pad wrapped around his waste. It seems to work for a while but as soon as he wakes up and starts moving he pees right through it. I always pick him up and take him outside to go to the bathroom, but it just seems like it still comes out before.

Is there anything else I can try? I have heard of the male pee pads... Do they work good?

Thank you!

Candi
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Paralyzed incontinent corgi mix

Post by Bobbie »

I started doing the Poise pads in the belly band a little differently- I cut one big pad in half lengthwise and then overlap both halves (they stick out the belly band a little). I use these belly bands: http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/bellyband ... fabric.htm

Another thing someone did that worked well was to cut open an adult diaper (so it looked like a regular diaper, no pants) and then she taped it on and used velcro straps to hold it in place. I found belted adult diapers at Walmart (haven't looked recently) that worked without any need to cut, and was able to mostly keep those on with safety pins.

You might also try expressing onto a pee pad before trying to move him in the morning.

Shape of the dog makes a lot of difference in whether or not you can keep a belly band on but the doubled-up pads worked much better for Oliver.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CandiMalburg

Re: Paralyzed incontinent corgi mix

Post by CandiMalburg »

Thank you so much. I tried using a regular diaper and we've had no accidents since. I wish I would have come on this forum sooner haha.

Thank you so much for your help. =)