living with incontinence cat

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
tiffanyting

living with incontinence cat

Post by tiffanyting »

Hi I’m new here. I wonder if there is any side effect of manually expressing a cat’s bladder/releasing poopoo. Will doing this have any damage of the cats bladder or bowel system?

he reason I'm asking is that I have adopted three kittens one of which was dual incontinence just over half a year ago. I have been expressing his bladder and releasing his poopoo 3 times a day ever since. It’s definitely not an easy job, certainly a huge responsibility, especially when I have a full time job. I put him in the toilet when I’m out for work and let him out, playing with the other two cats (his bro and sis) when I am at home. The first couple of months was intense, the toilet floor was full of urine and facets every time when I was back from work (I didn’t want him to wear diapers all the time as I am from Hong Kong, the weather where is always hot and humid.). And his digestive system was very sensitive; he suffered from diarrhea once in about two weeks’ time. But luckily I, well both of us became better at this. After getting to know each other for a few months, we are more familiar with each other’s schedule. He doesn’t really leak now, unless I need to work long hours.

However, I noticed once in about one or two months’ time, he leaks rather frequently (normally it lasts for one or two days). He leaked even soon after I expressed him (like just within an hour). And when this happened, I could feel that his bladder was so soft, as if he totally lost control over it. Leakage would easily been spotted when he’s running, stretching or even when I gently touch, yes just touch his belly (but when he was fine, I may need a little bit of strength to squeeze his bladder in order to make the urine out). But luckily such situation only happened 3 times since I had him, and it won’t last for long. However just over the last weekend, he had the same situation again. But this time, it seemed much worse. He was leaking all the time, as if nothing can be held in his bladder. I had to let him wear a diaper all the time. Did anyone experience similar situation as me? What’s wrong with him? Why he had such leakage, and why it seemed worse now? What’s the cause of this? Was that because I accidentally damaged his internal organs while expressing him? I am really worried. He was so young, just turned one. He was such a poor kitten as he lost one eye due to cat flu when he was still a stray cat and tail pull injury before he got a permanent home. I took the responsibility half a year ago, even though when all the staffs at the vet suggested to put him to sleep (some of them even thought he wasn’t worth saving!!!!). I don't think anyone has the right to end his life except himself. He is such a playful and handsome boy, I hope he can have a long, happy life with his brother and sister.
CarolC

Re: living with incontinence cat

Post by CarolC »

Hi,

Do you think he might possibly have a little bladder infection? That can cause dribbling. Sometimes you will see other symptoms with an infection, such as a change in the color or odor of the urine. But not always. It sounds like you are doing everything right. You are expressing him 3 times a day, both bladder and bowel. I do not think it is likely you have damaged his bladder or bowel. I have never known anyone to damage a cat by expressing the bladder. Have you thought about having his urine checked at the vet? If you do, it is important to take the urine to the vet immediately, because it can form crystals in it within 30 minutes. It might be better if you could take him to the vet and express him there (into a pan) so the vet can analyze the sample right away.

:violet:
tiffanyting

Post by tiffanyting »

Thank you Carol for your reply! Yes, I did book an appointment with my local vet, but since I work full time, the earliest possible appt which fit my schedule is on Wed. I will listen to your suggestion to express him at the vet and have his urine sample to be analyzed. His symptoms seem to ease off since last night, and there was no blood in his urine, nor any strange odour. He was energetic and had good appetite. I'm so grateful to have found this website, reading through posts and learning how other people are dealing with similar problems. I feel that I am not alone. :)

Tiffany
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Expressing is definitely the way to go; he HAS to poop and pee. Besides, he can't leak if he's empty. I'm wondering about a UTI, too. It could also be that he's recovering. Things can change as the nerves heal, but it's not always a linear process. They can backslide some, of course.

:angel: for taking him!