How to deal with dripping fecal issues on a cat.

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
j_genovesi

How to deal with dripping fecal issues on a cat.

Post by j_genovesi »

I have a 3 month old manx kitten that has fecal issues. We have been told by the vet to keep her on a wet food because she was constipated when we first got her. I have always adopted my cats and this little girl was not an exception. According to the vet my manx is full bred if not very close to full bred. She has no stub at all. This is because with some purebred manx, their spinal cord is shortened. In my kittens case she is missing about 3 disks before her tail would have begun. In her case this has made it so she does not have enough muscle coordination to pinch off the entire bowel movement. I have baby wipes and clean her rectum every time I see her, and my wrist is covered in the 100s of scratches to prove it. I also shave the area so it does not get as dirty. I have read that some of you are able to help them make their movements manually twice a day or so, so there are less leaks or fecal incontinence issues. My question is how do you do it without getting scratched up?
critters
Founding Member

Re: How to deal with dripping fecal issues on a cat.

Post by critters »

:slant: I expressed my Buddy for poop and pee, and he usually pooped first. He didn't like expressing, so I had to scruff him with one hand, hold him on his back on a pad, and express him. You might be able to use some of the Poop on Demand methods since your girl is so high-functioning. http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =5&t=18586 Can you try treats when you're done, so maybe she'll cooperate more? You should also be aware of lactulose, a yummy liquid poop softener that is very easy to give. Because it's liquid, it's super easy to give a bit more or less as necessary for optimal poops. It usually requires a prescription from the local drug store, but it can be VERY worth it.

She's just a baby, so I expect she'll learn cooperation, but I'd whack her claws for the meantime...
CarolC

Re: How to deal with dripping fecal issues on a cat.

Post by CarolC »

I can't answer for the scratches, but there are some videos that perhaps might give you ideas of better ways to try it so you don't get scratched. Hopefully when she understands what is going on, she will cooperate more. Once you feel competent at helping her empty her bowel, hopefully you can adjust her stool quality so it is manageable but not runny. I second the suggestion of lactulose. :D

Scroll to the end of this article to see some videos.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =5&t=18586

Also, here is a good comment by Bendy Mom.
BendyMom in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17416&p=90673&hilit=glove#p90673 wrote:expressing poop isn't all that difficult. you can feel around in her gut and feel the stool in it, when her lower intenstine is full it is easy to feel. then you just squeeze teh poop along. takes a little practice but then you find one or two magic spots to press and ta dah! poop!
sometimes pinching their anus works...but i have better luck just squeezing them. Neither Butterbean nor Black Cherry Whisniak really like their butt-baths but they get through them. I have a bite glove i wear for Butterbean since his main form of protest is to bite my arm/hand. I suggest at least wearing a sweatshirt. :)