Fecal & Urinary Incontinence after Car Accident

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
HanWoods

Fecal & Urinary Incontinence after Car Accident

Post by HanWoods »

Hi people,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologise if what I'm asking has been written about in the past! I have read all the articles I can find on here, but was hoping for some personal experiences too :)

On Friday I ran over our Sheltie - we have a few as we breed, but I'm unashamed to say she is our favourite :oops: and I couldn't have felt worse! We thought it was all over for her, but so far she has made nothing short of a miraculous recovery, considering her pelvis was in roughly 10 - 15 pieces. She had a major op on Monday to put her back together again, and so far they are really happy with her progress, it looks very likely that she'll make a good recovery.

In the accident, her tail was pulled so hard that it has damaged her nerves which control among other things her bowel and bladder function. The vets are confident at the moment that she will regain function in time, as she still has some "deep" feeling around her genital areas and good feeling/use of her back legs, although of course with nerves you can never be sure (lots of personal experience with nerve damage issues) this is great news for us, but in at least the short term we will have to manage her incontinence.

She is currently just left in the "on" position if you will - urine and poo come out as and when, with her *bumhole* permanently open. I want to make sure she is as comfortable as possible while she's recovering, and wondered if anyone has any personal experience in the best way to do this? I work from home so can give her 24hr care, her recovery is the most important thing in our lives at the moment. She'll never have pups again, but for us, all we want is our Stella back in one piece :)
Attachments
Stel_Snow.jpg