Full time job and a handicap kitty

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Clare Pachuau

Full time job and a handicap kitty

Post by Clare Pachuau »

How do I keep mt kitty clean and dry while I'm away at work for almost 10 to 11 hrs everyday?

I have a kitty who is unable to walk. He is not paralyzed. But unable to walk. He was found literally inside a stray dog's mouth on May 20th 2015. When the rescuer brought him to me, no one knew he couldnt walk. We all thought he was simply weak and scared. Took him to the vet, there we realized we his back hinds weren't very useful. Assuming maybe its cause by the dog's bite, no physical injury though. Took xray, shows nothing wrong. But the bladder was full. Vet expressed, and told me that he prolly didnt pee or poop for the past couple or 3 days. But so serious ailment. I was told regular exercise and therapy will help him walk again. For the next 4 to 5 days i have to express the bladder after which he pee on his own, the more his legs move the more he pee. Poop is never an issue though. With my full time job, and new experience with special need baby. I use to just let him free in the house whole day while I'm at work. But my after work chores at home was pretty tough. His front paws are super strong, he is not at all deprived from playing with my other cats. But as I already mention, the more he move around the more he pee and poop. So by the time I reach home, my floor is full of pee and poop and is very unhealthy for everyone. My boyfriend would come over and help here and there. I managed for about almost 3 months. I know a lady who runs a shelter. She said she will take him in and look after him, will prolly have more time for therapy and exercises. With a heavy heart i let him go. it never felt right though. After 2 weekends I went to visit him. OMG, if I didnt visit him then, I'm sure he would've passed away. He would try to cover his poop and pee continuously that his paws were full of blisters due to the crate not clean properly. He lost weight so badly, he was extremely dehydrated. His butt part was old bald. I took him back. He look actually more crippled than before. Vet although told me nothing that serious but was pretty neglected at the shelter. Obviously it cant be the same as home. But didnt expect it to be that bad.

Sasha's mom and critters gave me suggestions on my old post about using a diaper or maybe a big comfortable crate.
I go for the crate, i got a big crate now where he can pretty much move around a bit. Make it as comfortable as i can. the furs are growing back and pretty much back to normal health.

But my problem is, so he is in the crate the whole time I am at work. Tough i use puppy training pad, more than 9 hrs of the same pad do not always help. Last week he had a severe UTI. His balls and dick (sorry i do not know the medical terms for it) are all swollen. He's on medication right now. During weekends when I'm at home, it helps him, since I can change the pad right away if it gets a bit wet. I told the vet about my condition, the amount of time I have and how I manage. He told me I do everything right, however way I can. But I do not know what else to do now.

He will be covered in poop almost every night after I go back from work and in the morning when I get up. I dont know how long he have been sitting in the poop. I feel really bad for him but just do not know any other ways to handle.

Please help or suggest what else I can do :( :?
Attachments
My Howie
My Howie
critters
Founding Member

Re: Full time job and a handicap kitty

Post by critters »

What a cutie!

Pee pads do NOT keep critters or humans dry; they keep bedding dry. The newer, thicker ones MIGHT be better at keeping skin dry, but I don't know. Can you express him as often as you can? What's not in can't leak out. Diapers might help, but they, too, need to be changed.
Clare Pachuau

Post by Clare Pachuau »

I can try that. Will update. Thanks a lot :lol:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I can't find the super thick "night" pee pads I've tried, and the pads themselves are at home. Will keep looking. I'm not sure they'll keep skin dry either, but there's a better chance of it.
Clare Pachuau

Post by Clare Pachuau »

Thanks critters. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. His balls swollen skin are peeling off. It looks very painful last night after work. Was bleeding a bit as well. He was as usual covered in poop. I clean him as much as I can. I didnt even want to touch much to clean because it looks real painful and i swear I prayed big time for him to not poop while i sleep. He was still clean and dry in the morning and the wound look a little better. Tomorrow is a holiday here in India. I will check with the vet. Hopefully things get better.

Thank you so much for ur responses. Means a lot. I almost lost hope last night.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

OK, here they are. Ammy has other packaging for them, too. http://www.amazon.com/Depend-Protectors ... protection
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You need skin protection. Cavilon spray was first used as a skin barrier for people with ostomies, and it is now in lots of first aid sprays. I don't know if you can get it or something like it in India, but you might. Have you tried diaper cream? Butt creams with zinc have to be covered with a diaper if the critter is a bather because it can be toxic if swallowed. Butt creams may be easier to find. If he's a dragger he might also be causing skin damage that way. Because of the neglect at that place you'll have to work harder to get him healed, but it should be easier after he's healed.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Rather than touching him if he's that raw you might try just hosing him off and using a blow dryer, if you can. I would suggest NOT using shampoo very often, as it can be drying, and maybe even irritating to raw skin, but he DOES need to be clean.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Clare Pachuau

Post by Clare Pachuau »

the vet prescribe a skin scream to help the wound so using that right now. Will get the update about his condition tomorrow.
Clare Pachuau

Post by Clare Pachuau »

Yep, joined the group :thankyou:
Clare Pachuau

Post by Clare Pachuau »

It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to let go of my lil Howie today. His wounds we not looking good.
And its my birthday. I'l never forget this birthday. I'm just really sad. Although I am now so much more confident with handicap ones. If any rescue comes along, I will still take them in.

But thank you so much for all the suggestion. It means a lot.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aww, I'm sorry. :cry: