Cat can't poop after car accident

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
booqs

Cat can't poop after car accident

Post by booqs »

I found a cat that was hit by a car last week. he has a fractured hip on the right and a fractured leg on the left. I took him to two vets multiple times and we are just waiting for his bones to heal. I am not sure if he has any internal damage. He is peeing on his own, but I tried to get him to poop and couldn't do it. I finally took him to the vet today. She gave him light sedation and expelled his bowels. He needed to be sedated because he's basically a feral cat and is still in pain and didn't trust the vet. Now I feel a lot better because I can tell his stomach is not bloated etc.

Here is my concern. We don't know if he has long term nerve damage and if he will be able to poop alone or not. I don't think I can press on his bowels. He freaks out. I also am afraid to pick him up because I don't want to hurt his fractures. Basically he ate tonight and I know tomorrow I'm going to have to figure out something and I have to admit, I am scared. I don't want to hurt him. I watched videos of people pressing the stomach, I don't think that's gonna happen. Do ice and the other tricks work? Please help me someone. I am freaking out internally[/size]
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cat can't poop after car accident

Post by critters »

:slant: Sometimes the poop on demand tricks can help. If the poop is just too hard for him to push out, you can use softeners like lactulose, a sweet liquid that is easy to dose. Expressing is learned on both sides--human and critter--so I expect you're right that it won't be happening all that soon.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:thankyou: for taking him in!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You will want to see this video using the swab trick with a cat. http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... ead#unread
booqs

Post by booqs »

I tried most of the poop on demand nothing is working. Today he obviously has dirrhea. He's leaking and has gas but still nothing coming out. Problem is I can't hold him up like the video because of his fractures. Doctor said not to let legs dangle. I'm so frustrated and sad. Don't know what to do. Don't really want to go to vet again. He goes nuts because he's scared. Asked vet for a house call, no response. Any help would be much appreciated.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I agree with the idea of using medication until his fractures heal. Lactulose syrup (as mentioned) is a liquid stool softener that keeps the stools the right softness or firmness depending on how you adjust the dose, you can really fine tune it. You get it from the vet, you only have to give a little bit, so one bottle lasts a LONG time. There is also a medication called cisapride (some people prefer only to use it short term) which can help with intestinal motility to help keep things moving.

You may want to put a lampshade collar on him at first until he learns what you are doing. To some extent it is going to be up to him whether he will let you help him. I absolutely sympathize. I know it can be difficult if the cat does not want to cooperate. I hate to trim claws on a cat but this might be one time when I would ask the vet to do it. I think keeping him on plenty of pain medication is going to be important to him not reacting so much every time you try to touch him.
:collar:
If you think you can palpate his abdomen without bothering the fractures, then you should be able to squeeze him just as well lying down as upright, with the same results. These two videos are not showing expressing the bowel, they are showing expressing the bladder, but what you are doing in much the same. (In fact expressing the bladder sometimes causes them to eliminate stool, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH-4vryTra4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQyHrjfBzsA

I would not think he needs to empty his bowel every day, maybe every other day right now.
booqs

Post by booqs »

At this point I am starting to have a nervous breakdown. This is the fourth day with no poop. I know he has diarrhea but it won't come out. It's making him miserable.His stomach hurts and he didn't eat at all today because of it. I took him to the vet and she refused to press on his abdomen, she's afraid of causing more damage, when I do it at home he lets me do it, but it hurts him and nothing comes out. I must still not be doing it right. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I'm heartbroken and have no support. Just FYI I am overseas and there isn't very good veterinary care. Everyone keeps telling me to wait, for what i am not sure. If it hasn't come out on it's own even once since the accident it's unlikely to now. Please help. What am I doing wrong?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

If the vet just emptied him under sedation a couple of days ago, he is probably not full enough to worry yet. I think it's safe to relax a litte. You know, he is in pain and in an unfamiliar situation so he is tense, and I think it is an instinct that they do not want to defecate when they are laid up. If a cat did that in the wild, not only would it be a mess, but it would attract predators. Since he is peeing on his own, it sounds like he has control, so it may not be anything you are doing wrong, he may just be holding it. It is frustrating, and I hate to tell you what everyone else says, but if he is eating and drinking, I would give it time. I do strongly recommend the lactulose syrup. Call the vet and see if you can get some. It will help him go on his own. And hang in there. Every day he is healing a little bit more.

Have you tried laying him in a litter box, or is there a place outside you can lay him down, but where he can't get away? Please remember that even when they are having a problem with their hind legs, they can get away from you SO fast you wouldn't believe it, they'll be off like a shot when you didn't expect it. It would need to be a safe enclosed area with no trees to climb or bushes to go under, etc.
booqs

Post by booqs »

Well. For the past two days he's refused to eat or drink. I gave him an infusion under the skin last night because I'm worried about dehydration. I pulled a poop out of his butt but I can tell there's diarrhea in his stomach not coming out and making him miserable. He's breaking my heart and I don't know what to do.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That is great that you are able to do sub-Q fluids, they will also help with preventing constipation.

Not eating or drinking is a serious problem. Cats who do not eat can get fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis), which can become fatal. You may need to take him to the vet and have them tube feed him. It is a simple procedure that does not require sedation and is done very quickly. The soft tube goes down the kitty's throat easily, the vet squeezes a syringe on the end that squirts food directly into the tummy, takes maybe 30 seconds, and pulls the tube out, done.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-he ... in-cats/96
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. In your country, lactulose might even be over-the-counter (I don't know why it's not OTC in the US). It seems to me that it's worth a shot; maybe he has a plug.

CarolC's right that he REALLY needs to eat, though. I would try canned food, lunch meat, cheese, or whatever he might like. Some canned foods are really soft so you can get them into the cat with a syringe.
booqs

Post by booqs »

Unfortunately he died last week. It was heartbreaking.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I am so sorry. At least you know you did all you could, and he was not alone. He was lucky to have you.
Ayush

Post by Ayush »

It's rare to see kind-hearted people like you. I know how it feels to lose someone when you give all your all to save them, but ...
I'm so attracted & attached to the animals more than humans (because human can express their feelings & need with words, but animals can't). So, i try to help them whenever possible.
Thank you so much to try your best. and sorry for your loss.