I seem to have an abnormal problem. HELP!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
bellabean

I seem to have an abnormal problem. HELP!

Post by bellabean »

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. I was told to seek out some help this way because my vet and surgeon seem to not have an answer yet. I am hoping someone has had this same problem. My dachshund, Bella went paralyzed about 13 weeks ago, a few days after I elected surgery because she remained strong, healthy and in good spirits even though she was in pain. At the same time she lost the ability to urinate on her own and her bowel movements just happened. Over the last 13 weeks she has gained her mobility back and even though she is still a little sluggish she is back to her normal self EXCEPT she will not potty! She holds it! It does not even leak! I can let her go 24 hrs and let her fill up and she still wont go. I am not sure if she can feel it or she is afraid. The other strange thing is that I don't express her, I can tap her rear end several times and then she squats to go. I am not sure if I have made her this way or is there a neurological issue? Can she feel it? Or is she afraid and stubborn. She battled a uti after surgery and am trying to keep her from getting one again so I keep helping her. I don't like the idea of allowing her to "fill up" I have read that with some families it has taken about 6 months for the pup to go again on their own. My vet and surgeon think this is strange. I am not sure what to do. I am being patient because maybe it will take a few months, but I feel like I don't know where we are going. Any advice out there?

Thank you!

Amy and Bella
Attachments
Bella.jpg
CarolC

Re: I seem to have an abnormal problem. HELP!

Post by CarolC »

Hi, can you tell me where along her back the surgery was? Was it neck, mid-back, lower back, or...? Did they say any specific vertebrae such as T-12 or L-1 or something like that?
I feel sure she is not being stubborn or afraid, it sounds like something medical.
You are right, bladder control can take months to return.
Whether she goes on her own or with stimulus from you, she needs to empty every 8 hours at least. I think that while she is in the situation where she goes when tapped, you need to let her do that, then have a vet check her bladder to be sure she is emptying it completely when she squats.
There is medication that may help, but I would like to know where the surgery was?
What a beautiful dog she is.
bellabean

Post by bellabean »

Thank you for the reply. I am sure also that it is medical but I am hoping that it is not permanent. She is so smart and well behaved, I hate this for her. I hope it is just a matter of time. I am afraid that I am not getting her bladder empty, she hates it when I try to express her. It was her mid to lower back. I can get the exact spot, they told me. I am hoping to hear from the surgeon this upcoming week.. they have a call into the urologist.
Thank you so much! I will post an update with what I hear. I'm prepared to help her the rest of her life if I have to :(
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, if it is not mid- or upper back or neck, then that's good. When the injury is high up like that, it creates a tight sphincter, but if her injury is lower, that should not be an issue. If it was my dog I would keep helping her at least 3x a day. There are several reasons. One is, you do not want the bladder to become permanently stretched by being too full and not emptying. If that happens, the dog may not be able to urinate normally even when the nerves have healed. Also, letting urine remain in the bladder creates a sitution where germs will grow in the stale urine, resulting in a urinary tract infection. UTI usually responds well to antibiotics but it is better to prevent it. And also, where there is infection in the bladder, it makes the formation of stones/crystals more likely.

There are medications that can help relax the sphincter if needed, and there is a medication that can help improve the tone, which might be just what she needs. If her bladder has become a little stretched, the medication helps that. Perhaps you can discuss this with the vet when you take her for follow up. :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: I think I'd consider a medication trial. Bethanechol seems to help a loose, floppy bladder and phenoxybenzamine (PBZ) can be a great help with a tight, spastic one. If you try one or both, please post back what happens.

It's also not unusual for a critter to hold their pee or to even resist expressing once they get enough control to do so.