Diaper problem

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Diaper problem

Post by CarolC »

Strangest thing, I still am not 100% sure what caused this. Dolly wears a diaper during the day and she's been wearing the same kind of diapers since 2009, so they are fine. She only has one hind leg that does not bend and sticks straight forward. The place where the leg elastic of the diaper touched her leg began to develop a spot so I switched her to another kind of diaper I have here in case they were rubbing, thinking the others fit a little differently and might solve the problem. But she continued to lick it and it turned into a sore. So yesterday and today she has been on bedrest where she stays in her playpen without a diaper. The night before last she was still licking it so I started her on a quarter tab of Benadryl, and that seems to be helping, so it is gradually healing. All I can think is maybe (?) she got a flea bite there and that is what it was. But she was already on flea preventive when this happened and the last dose was about 2 weeks earlier so it should have been working. I guess that does not prevent her from being bit though, it just kills the fleas if they try to stay on the dog, and prevents them from reproducing. My next door neighbors have dogs and I have a dog here I rehomed in 2012 that ended up back here a few weeks ago, so she goes outside and probably brought in a flea. She is on preventive too, now. Anyway... :( Poor Dolly can't wear her diaper until the spot that was bothering her heals up. It's looking better. Come to think of it, a band of elastic is exactly where fleas like to hide and bite you if you are a human. Like the elastic of your socks...or other elastic. Why would it be any different with the elastic leg of a dog diaper? But she has gone since 2009 with no problem with her diapers until now. Hopefully we will go another 6 years with no problems.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Diaper problem

Post by critters »

Weird... Could she have become allergic to the diapers?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

At this point I would say I am pretty sure she got a flea bite (fleas are gone but it only took one) in the wrong place, and between her licking it and keeping that spot damp, and then the diaper elastic rubbing, it turned into a sore. She is back in her diapers for 2 days now, the skin is a little pink but holding. I don't really think she is allergic to the diapers because the kind she wears are denim and the elastic is inside a casing so the only thing that touches her skin is cotton, so at least I'm hoping. She was awfully good about being confined for so long. I am putting ointment on her skin right there before I put her diaper on, until the fur grows back, it can't hurt. I was scared for a while it might be ringworm because I had a foster dog here for one day with ringworm recently, but he was officially over it and in the other room in a crate, and I wore protection over my clothes when handling him and washed my hands, but you don't know what to think when something like this happens for the first time ever after 6 years. :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yeah, that's weird. I've never had anybody react to a flea bite like that, but, then, they don't read the books. Mine have had all kinds of "impossible" things happen!!