Whys it Seem Some Vets Are Quick to Suggest "Euthanasia"?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
vivareggie

Whys it Seem Some Vets Are Quick to Suggest "Euthanasia"?

Post by vivareggie »

Hi good people,

Opinions please and thank you :wub:

My cat has a pretty knarly tail pull injury the last week and needs bladder expressed daily and poops everywhere (no anal tone/reflexes).
From what I've seen and heard over the last week, lots of Vets suggest putting pets to sleep after these kinds of sustained injury.
Why do you think this is so?
No judgements, but I would like to discuss, because I feel curious (and unclear) as to why this may be.
In my opinion, pets can still have an adequate qualify of life after these types of traumatic injuries.
Thanks,
VIVAREGGIE.
:angel:
Last edited by vivareggie on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarolC

Re: Whys it Seem Some Vets Are Quick to Suggest "Euthanasia"

Post by CarolC »

I absolutely agree with you, they can have a very good quality of life in spite of such a condition, if you are willing to take care of them. I think many vets lack confidence that the owner will do a good job of taking care of the pet. They are afraid the pet will be a lot of work for the owner, and may get inadequate care. They think the owner can just go get another pet, there are so many needing homes. They may not realize how much you love THIS pet. :wub: You and other members here would feel strongly about wanting to care for the pet, but there are some people who would feel they are just too busy, or they would not want to express a bladder or clean up poop. Your kitty is very lucky to have you taking care of her. I hope you have a vet who is supporting you in taking care of your kitty, since you have made it clear you are going to take care of her.

:group:
vivareggie

Post by vivareggie »

CarolC wrote:I absolutely agree with you, they can have a very good quality of life in spite of such a condition, if you are willing to take care of them. I think many vets lack confidence that the owner will do a good job of taking care of the pet. They are afraid the pet will be a lot of work for the owner, and may get inadequate care. They think the owner can just go get another pet, there are so many needing homes. They may not realize how much you love THIS pet. :wub: You and other members here would feel strongly about wanting to care for the pet, but there are some people who would feel they are just too busy, or they would not want to express a bladder or clean up poop. Your kitty is very lucky to have you taking care of her. I hope you have a vet who is supporting you in taking care of your kitty, since you have made it clear you are going to take care of her.

:group:
Hi CarolC,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I agree with you, these are good points.
I am willing to take care of my little Reggie, I do love him so much, I've had him for nearly 8 years and he is still such a gorgeous lil boy :)
Thanks for the words, it means alot to me, when some people, (like people you dont really know), might say, "oh sounds like hed be better put down"... it gets to you, but he is still so full of life and hasnt changed. He hasn't done anything wrong :wub:

:thankyou:
vivareggie

Post by vivareggie »

P.S. Yes, I have a supportive vet who gets it ! Lucky! She does home visits and she has known reg since 2009 now. I met her through my old housemates/and friends who used to contact her for medical advice/care for their two cats. She's always been good with me. I hope other people get supportive vets and individual-centred care/advice too.
Cheers!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

SO many vets are like that, and many don't want to be bothered with handicappers.

:whale:
vivareggie

Post by vivareggie »

Who doesn't want to be bothered? The vets too?
Thanks for the welcome :) :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes. Many vets don't want to deal with handicappers.
BobbiezCritterz

Post by BobbiezCritterz »

Honestly I think it's because MOST people cannot/will not do what is needed. Or, ANY sort of "disability" must mean the animal is "suffering". When the ol' lady Pug, Abby was still with us, she needed a wheel chair. Took to it like a fish to water. I took her to the park and one OLD man just looks at me and says.."ya' know, most people would have just put her down". Idiot. She was still happy and lovin' life. I hope someone puts that old mean man to sleep! :)
It was time to say goodbye when the pain increased and she lost her appetite. A Pug that doesn't want to eat is a sad sight, let me tell you.
So, a guess a vet should not suggest something like that unless they know the client well enough to know they are not up to the task. Let's face it, all that extra work can get on your nerves at times...been there, done that. But, as long as they are happy, you keep doing it. Isn't that what we'd want for ourselves?
vivareggie

Post by vivareggie »

:thankyou: well said. Nail on the head. Haha about putting old mean man to sleep!! I got it the other day some douche was like, "oh see I think that's time for putting them to sleep.." I said, "hes alright, my cat is happy", he said" their in pain" as if he knew me and my whole cats situation; he wanted to argue and make out I was some kind of fool for wanting to do that. He was my mates housemate. Didn't know him from a bar of soap. Stupid druggo. :twisted:
Clarabow99

Post by Clarabow99 »

Interesting reading all the comments. I personally don't think it's really up to a vet unless the animal is truly suffering.
Owners - well that's a different kettle of fish. x