Hello from me and Harvey (hit by car, now incontinent)

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Clarabow99

Re: Hello from me and Harvey (hit by car, now incontinent)

Post by Clarabow99 »

Soon it will be 8 weeks and Harvey is unable to be expressed by a single person. He's just one of those cats that won't stay still, hisses, scratches, bites, tenses up and absolutely hates it being done. Seven different vets have done it now and they ALL needed assistance. I've never yet managed to do it completely. Now he's peeing everywhere he sleeps due to the meds and he's lying in it, getting covered and hates me cleaning him. He's miserable with this and he's locked in a crate at night so as to be in my bedroom and not locked in the kitchen which is more hygienic but I hate leaving him alone. He has a miserable life because for 3 weeks I've been taking him to the vets for expressing and they've told me that it can't continue, I have to be able to express him at home - and I can't :cry: I've asked around if anyone would foster him and give him that special care of expressing but no-one has come back to me.

I think my little angel was sent to me for only a short time as I know I need to let him go any day now. This is incredibly heart-breaking to write about and I feel like a potential murderer by doing this but sadly he's not getting better and he cannot be cared for.

Is there any hope at all because if I've overlooked that "miracle cure" and find it later down the line I will live with the burden of grief and guilt forever. help! :(
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It's been about 6 weeks, so is his pelvis healed enough that he can wear a diaper?
Sasha_diaper.jpg
Buddy_diaper.jpg

Clarabow99

Post by Clarabow99 »

Hi Carol

thanks for the information and very cute photos, but I should explain that he retains urine and only leaks slightly after taking his meds so a diaper wouldn't help. I'm trying to find a home for him with 2 people that can express to give him a chance.
Having a very hard time right now :-(
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I hope something works out for you. It is normal for cats to complain about expressing, but I am remembering one situation similar to yours where the cat was just so fussy about it and the owner was single. It was another owner who was also extremely committed to making it work, and she finally discovered an issue with her cat. Here is that post, I didn't think of it till now.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17862

(Also, I hope you got a chance to read about Raz/Erasmus from the previous link give above. He was another cat difficult to express and they finally found the solution for him, which was not what you would expect.)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Have you tried the Cats with Paralysis Facebook group? Somebody there might be willing to help, take him, or something. Yes, I understand the non-leaking thing; it's a blessing AND a curse, but, then, so is leaking.
Clarabow99

Post by Clarabow99 »

This has been a great week for Harvey (and me!) - for 4 days in a row he barely needed expressed, just a small dribble and his bladder was pretty much emptied - that's because he's been doing bigger wees in his tray! Today he needed a bit more expressed but nowhere near like what it was a week ago. The vets have said I can keep going for another month as he's showing such great improvement! Fingers and everything crossed that this improvement continues! xx
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Wow, I am really glad to read the good news. Very happy to see this! Best wishes at every step along the way. :angel:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Clarabow99 wrote:This has been a great week for Harvey (and me!) - for 4 days in a row he barely needed expressed, just a small dribble and his bladder was pretty much emptied - that's because he's been doing bigger wees in his tray! Today he needed a bit more expressed but nowhere near like what it was a week ago. The vets have said I can keep going for another month as he's showing such great improvement! Fingers and everything crossed that this improvement continues! xx
That's great! I wouldn't let the vets dictate, though ("I can keep going for another month") because they have NO idea how much he will recover or how long it will take; they'd need a crystal ball to know that.
Clarabow99

Re: Hello from me and Harvey - now healed :-)

Post by Clarabow99 »

Happy News for Good Friday!
Harvey hasn't needed expressed for 3 weeks now as he's weeing all by himself, not large ones but several smaller ones which are getting bigger all the time. He's been getting checked over every couple of days and today the vet discharged him from their care! He's a healthy happy little boy and I'm a very thankful and lucky mummy! :D :D

I hope he can be an inspiration to anyone who's going through the same as we went through, it's been a rough 3 months but he's come out the other end so to anyone with this problem I'd say hang in there because miracles can happen and some stories do have a happy ending!

Big Hugs to you all for your wonderful support and advice, :thankyou:
Happy Easter,
Love from Harvey and Claire xxxxx
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It's really amazing when you go back and read the first post describing how he was then! :hurray:
Happy Easter to you and Harvey, too!!
:angel:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

That's terrific! Congrats!!!