non-stop UTI's since september please help!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Olliewog

non-stop UTI's since september please help!

Post by Olliewog »

I have a paralyzed frenchie named Ollie, she is 8 years old and became paralyzed when she was 3. She had a few UTI's after she first became paralyzed, but we have gone almost 3 years since a UTI - that is until this September. I could tell she had a UTI because her pee smelt like burnt rubber. She has been alternating between the e.coli bacteria and enterococcus bacteria since labor day; as soon as one is cured the other shows up. Her last prescription was 6 weeks of Cefpodoxime Proxetil and 6 weeks of Amoxicillin. Not even a week after finishing her medication, I could tell she had yet another UTI. I dont know what to do! The vet is concerned she will have to be put on a low dose antibiotic for the rest of her life and I really don't want that. Nothing has changed in her diet or habits in the past few months, the only thing I can think of is that I used to lock her in a kennel during the day while I was at work but I recently have been just locking her in my bedroom because she always tends to poop in her kennel and I feel guilty having her sit in it until I get home....Is there anything I can do to help prevent her from getting another UTI? I sprinkle d-mannose powder on her food each morning and bought her a washable diaper for when she scoots around on the carpet. Any other suggestions?

Cami
CarolC

Re: non-stop UTI's since september please help!

Post by CarolC »

How strange to have a problem after going so long without one. The diaper is a good idea to keep floor dirt away from her female area. I would think that is going to help a lot. Have you ever had any luck expressing her bowel? It would be worth a try because maybe if you did that before you crated her, she might stay clean until you get home. Or perhaps get her a bigger kennel. I use a baby playpen for my diaper dog so she has a place she can be without a diaper and not pick up germs. Have you checked her blood sugar? Supposedly dogs are more susceptible to UTIs if they become diabetic. What if you give her her big meal at night and just a very light breakfast, like a Milk Bone, so she will be less likely to mess while you are at work. A lot of dogs only eat once a day anyway.

:grouph: