Wrap won't stay on two-legged dot

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Ernie23

Wrap won't stay on two-legged dot

Post by Ernie23 »

My dog has been paralyzed from waist down (back legs) for two years. He just had his rear legs removed due to poor blood flow and infections. Here's my question. He wears male wraps for incontinence. Now with no legs and dragging, his wraps will not stay in place. They move around and twist. Any alternatives or advice to keep them in place?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Wrap won't stay on two-legged dot

Post by critters »

:whale: Hmm. I don't think I've ever heard of that problem. Have you tried the ones with a shoulder harness?
Ernie23

Post by Ernie23 »

Do you mean the one with the suspenders? I thought about these but a lot of reviews say they just slip off and don't help. That's why was asking advice before I purchase anything. Here's a pic.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I would experiment with putting him in an ordinary nylon chest harness, then clip a makeshift suspender from the back of the harness to the edge of the malewrap. The trick will be finding a suspender the right size for him, I'm not sure how big he is. Is he a beagle? Examples are the elastic bands with a clip on both ends used to secure an ironing board cover. Similar elastics with clips can be found to secure bottom sheets on the bed, or tablecloths on a picnic table. Mitten keepers for a small dog, even a bungee cord for a large dog.
ironing-board-fasteners20.JPG
Here are two photos of such items being used on a diaper, which could be done equally well on a malewrap.
luthien24diaper_cropped_120.png
Liebchensgoingforawalk1.jpg
Have you considered a drag bag, in addition to the suspender? It might give him some protection as well as help with the wrap.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-drag-bag.html
Ru-Ru-drag-bag-.jpg
Ernie23

Post by Ernie23 »

Yes, he's a beagle mix. That's a great idea with the clips. I actually have everything to try this. I am considering getting a drag bag. I did buy him some baby sleeper sacks,which is essentially a dragway. But he tended to pull them off if he moves around too much. They did work OK. Thanks for the advice. I will try the suspenders.
Puglady

Post by Puglady »

Hi - my disabled pug Ernie is a dragger. I had the same issue so designed my own garment. I would be happy yo send you one on approval. Email me jacqui-robinson@sky.com