"stool on demand" doesn't work at all

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
kinsi

"stool on demand" doesn't work at all

Post by kinsi »

Hi! Also thanks to you guys and thanks to this forum we got through quite difficult time and the things are really getting better. Our Zelka that got hit by a car 4months ago (spine injury L7,hip displacement) regained the tail movement,she can walk,run and partially is even using her worse injured leg(one with the hip displacement),today she just underwent the third operation on this hip removing the iron material that was temporary there. Her mood is normal,she is back to happy hyper doggie :) The only thing that remained the same and maybe is even getting a little bit worse are her urinary and intestinal control. She is not leaking,but I have to express her and if she drinks more or the pause is longer than 6-8h she empties her bladder involuntary. That would be quite acceptable state,but it seems to me that the expression is harder and harder and sometimes it is really almost impossible to express her bladder although it is not empty. And about the stool I "dig" the stool...no stimulation work,I tried all of kinds of them :( She puts herself to the pooping position couple times during the walk (but nothing comes),she is also trying to pee as normally,but again with no success. So I think that the sensation is ok,but it also might be the habit... What do you think,what about your experience,is this going to improve/worsen somehow? Thank you very much.
CarolC

Re: "stool on demand" doesn't work at all

Post by CarolC »

I have used the technique where you dig out the stool, I think it is OK because the diameter of the stool is bigger than the diameter of your finger, and it works. :) I'll be honest, I cannot think of a good reason why she is sometimes hard to express now, when she was not before. Also, with an injury at L7, she should be easy to express. Do you think there is any chance she is resisting you?

One of the moderators here has a cat name Jaime who she says is impossible to express if she gets too cold. She has to provide an extra space heater in Jaime's room or she is unable to express her. Jaime is the only pet I know with that issue, but I am mentioning it in case it might be helpful.

The only thing I can think of that might help, is a medical article about urination. Perhaps if you read it, you can get some idea what is going on with her. There are various medications you can use to relax the sphincter or provide more tone for the bladder, perhaps she would benefit from medication? I really don't know why there has been a change. It used to take over 20 minutes to express my dog. After she had been paralyzed for 5 months, her neurological status improved to the point where she could help with producing urine if I squeezed her, and that made it much easier, but before that it was frankly time-consuming and took determination.

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Pr ... R00442.htm

It is easier to express if the colon is empty. If you think she might be a little constipated, you might try a laxative or stool softener to see if you can get her GI tract more emptied out, and then she may be easier to express.
critters
Founding Member

Re: "stool on demand" doesn't work at all

Post by critters »

kinsi wrote: it seems to me that the expression is harder and harder and sometimes it is really almost impossible to express her bladder although it is not empty. .
I have 2 thoughts here. I wonder if she's recovered enough to be able to resist expressing? That's not unusual. I also wonder if she has developed tightness (spasticity) in her bladder? That happened to my Buddy. Phenoxybenzamine (PBZ) helped his spasticity a lot, but bethanechol made it much worse.