Expressing my dog.

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
cmcmmac

Expressing my dog.

Post by cmcmmac »

Roscoe has a slipped disk. He can't use his hind legs. He is getting a little better. My problem is he won't pee. No problems with the bowels. I have been trying to express him for 4 weeks now. I took him to the vet monday and they catherized him. He dribbled some with a poop Wednesday. Today is friday. I have watched videos this morning and read in how to do this. Even the vet showed me how to no avail. It cost 50.00 at the vet just to catherize him and that not counting 39.00 for the exam room. I am at the end of my rope. I want my sweet boy to pp. The vet said he still has control of the muscles in his bladder. Gave me valium to relax him but I can't get a drop. Help
CarolC

Re: Expressing my dog.

Post by CarolC »

One trick with a male dog is to remember to squeeze for at least a full 10 seconds without letting up before trying another spot. 10 seconds is a very long time, you might want to use a clock rather than try to count it. You might also try taking him out to the area in the yard where he used to pp, and see if he will do it there. The literature tells you to squeeze gently but really it would be more correct to say position your hands carefully and squeeze gently, but if that does not work then squeeze more firmly if needed. You may need to try more pressure. If you are trying to find the right spot to position your hands, it helps to watch his tail, he may move his tail a little bit if you are squeezing in the right spot.
cmcmmac

Post by cmcmmac »

Thank you. I will give that a shot.
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

cmcmmac wrote:Roscoe has a slipped disk. He can't use his hind legs. He is getting a little better. My problem is he won't pee. No problems with the bowels. I have been trying to express him for 4 weeks now. I took him to the vet monday and they catherized him. He dribbled some with a poop Wednesday. Today is friday. I have watched videos this morning and read in how to do this. Even the vet showed me how to no avail. It cost 50.00 at the vet just to catherize him and that not counting 39.00 for the exam room. I am at the end of my rope. I want my sweet boy to pp. The vet said he still has control of the muscles in his bladder. Gave me valium to relax him but I can't get a drop. Help
I am exactly in the same predicament now as you were . My dog is 4 days post op and I couldn't find his bladder to express, but it turned out that he wasn't full. Now he is peeing on his own, but bowel movement is a different story. Nothing yet and trying all methods I see. It is vey stressful fro both of us. I hope your situation has gotten better.
~ Terri Claire ~
14 year old Bichon, Ginger
9 year old Bichon (recently paralyzed), Snap
4 year old Pitt Mix, Madison
cmcmmac

Post by cmcmmac »

Yes things are better now. Since my last post Roscoe had to be catherized 4 more times. Then he developed bladder stones. We went through that with special diet and flushing one back into the bladder 3 times. Thank god these stones are dissolveable. He would not eat the special diet in a can and barely nibbles on the dry. All pets in this house is on distilled water now vets orders. He has developed a skin problem now. Started on his lower belly around his penis and inner back legs. It started as circles and the skin peels off and the hair with it. Now it's sporadic on his back and legs and chest. He's being treated with thyroid meds antibiotics and an itch pill and 2 prescription shampoos a week. It is much better but its still there. I still worry about the stones. When he pees it's a thin stream and it takes him forever to get done. It's in the back of my mind i think that all of this has stemmed from the paralysis he had. He can walk and run but his hind legs are weak. He walks funny on the hind side but hey I'll take that. Did you ever get your baby straightened out? Did you finally get expressing the bladder down pat? I never did get it.