FCE - Bladder and Bowel recovery

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Klanoway

FCE - Bladder and Bowel recovery

Post by Klanoway »

Hi everyone.

Our boxer Bruno suffered an FCE 5 days ago. It was in the L4 to L6 area of the spine. The first day his back legs were completely paralyzed and he lost control of his bladder and bowels. His anus is loose and he lost control of the sphincter muscle.

The good news is 24 hours later he was up and walking, it's been improving he is slow on his feet. He went from wonky and weak to stronger and almost perfect form but he is quite slow.

Unfortunately he got a bout of stress induced colitis and has bloody diarrhea. We've been trying to keep him immobile as much as possible in the house because one shake and the walls are covered.

He has retained his pain and sensation in his legs you can pinch and tickle his paws he reacts to both.

Today while expressing his bladder I can feel his abs (for lack of better words) flexing while I'm doing it and it kind of hinders my ability to squeeze his bladder. Is that a sign of recovery or discomfort?

What is everyone else's experience with FCE who's pets lost control of bladder and bowels? Did they ever return? Were they perfect or just sort of better.

Any tips on leaving them at home when we return to work with the poop? We ordered these dragons den diapers without a tail hole that we hope he can wear during the day to catch his poop and per until we return and give him a bath.

I'm so thankful that I found this forum and all of the messages and support give me a lot of hope. I just haven't found a lot on people's experienced with incontence especially fecal and whether things got better.

Thanks everyone!