what last hours are like?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
SissysMomma2016

what last hours are like?

Post by SissysMomma2016 »

Sadly my moms cat has been loosing weight for the last couple yrs. Shes 9 yrs old and she started to throw up clear liquid over a year ago and also lost interest in food. yes we should have tooken her to the vet but my mom is retired and im a single mom who brings home $800 a month to $1000 (full time). so there is no money.
me and my mom have done alot of research and we are sure its kidney failure. about a week ago she seems to have just let and stopped trying- we dont blame her for giving up- so shes now going down hill fast. she doesnt meow any more and shes starting to drool. she will look at us when we love on her but doesnt get up. she also has a bad smell in her mouth.

so its that time. we want to know how her last hours will be like. painful? has anyone had a loved one die at home that has kidney deisese? i called multi vets and the cheapest to put her to sleep is $50. and i just dont have that, as badly as i want to take her in :'(
i cant find any info on how shes going to pass. all they say is its time to take her in. and i cant.
ty for your help.

on a side note, she is not negleted. she sleeps with us and i love her constantly. and talk to her bc i fear it will be my last time. no matter the smell or throw up. so i really want to know how bad the last hours would be. and if some finds a link to read about the last stages. ty.
critters
Founding Member

Re: what last hours are like?

Post by critters »

Honestly, I'd take her to be euthanized (put to sleep). Maybe your local animal control (pound) would be free or cheaper, or a discount vet. Maybe a local rescue organization would have ideas? Personally I HATE helplessly watching them die, and I'd rather be a week too early than a minute too late.
SissysMomma2016

trust me i tried them all. and that is the answer to everything. go put them down. but theres people like me who litterly still pay gas in change. i just want to know what the last hours will be like bc no one online talks about it. they just say when they get to this point take them in. but i cant. wish i could.
i want to know if i should with hold food, wet food, water, no water? like what causes her to go down peacefully at home. what organs shut down first and how she will decline naturally from kidney failure. and how can i make her comfortable?
FYI

Post by FYI »

SissysMomma2016

thank you so much. i dont know how you found that info but it was very helpful. God willing she wont have heart failure before falling into a coma. that way she can go peacefully. and i see how i can make her comfortable before her time.
Thank you for showing me the link. i have more peace and less stress. Thank you.

If you want to know a little about her:
Her name is Grayson. Shes a gray cat i found in the ally streets back in high school. I was 16 and pregnant when she came to me. She always loved talking and cuddling in your lap when you were in bed reading a book or watching tv. Always had this quiet meow. You would have to know her, to hear her. She was that quiet.
Im now pregnant with my 2nd baby. (9 yrs later) Im 37 weeks pregnant. Crazy how things work. I truely believe she came into my life when i was 16 to have someone to cry with and talk to during the time i had my son at a young age. and now im 25 having my second, and i feel like im stronger now and she was my Angel that was sent to me to make me smile during lonely times, and have a friend to sleep with. Its her time to go home. I know this now. Keep her in your thoughts and pray for a peaceful passing if you can. ty.
SissysMomma2016

want to say thank you. sadly she passed away this morning. it was really hard but she wasnt alone. and i loved on her till her last breathe. then i cleaned her and buried her.
Im going to truely miss her.
and i was able to keep her comfortable and i was able to see when her last hr was. :'(
so ty.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

She sounds like a very special kitty. I am glad you were able to spend time with her. I'm very sorry for your loss. :(
SissysMomma2016

she was. im actually taking it harder than i thought. i feel like it never happened. and that i need to dig her up. like shes waiting on me. idk. it feels so weird. i feel like i want to bring her in. but i know its real. its just so hard. i dont know how to explain it.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:
SissysMomma2016

thank you. I still feel a little emotional but its getting easier every day. Its kinda silly but I still hear her, but thats only bc i know when i do something, she always used to run to see what i was doing and meow at me. But shes at peace.