Diaper ideas for a cat

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
kayla9433

Diaper ideas for a cat

Post by kayla9433 »

I have a cat that is incontinent both urine and feces. He has full mobility but his tail is dead but I haven't financially been able to get the surgery to have it removed. I have tried doggie diapers and making some diapers that just just tie around his back legs like the old timey human cloth baby diapers but he always slips out of them. If I express he still dribbles urine and has accidents with feces. I rent my home so having an accident on the carpet is not an option and I feel bad having him in a room by himself all day when he could be interacting with my other cats. Does anyone have any ideas on a diaper that would stay on him and not leak but not hinder his movement? I do have a sewing machine that I could use to make something but not really sure how to fashion it.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Diaper ideas for a cat

Post by critters »

:whale: There are LOADS of things you can try, including turtleneck Onesies and suspenders. You're right about cats being able to walk or drag right out of their diapers!! Since he can walk, a Drag Bag wouldn't work. Look around this board, and also the paralysis one for ideas. There's also a Facebook group for paralyzed cats that recommends diapers regularly; I think their favorites are made by a member. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatsWithParalysis/ While your baby may not be paralyzed, he's still spinal cord injured.
kayla9433

Post by kayla9433 »

I hadn't even thought of the suspenders or turtleneck onsies! I sent a request to join the Facebook group so hopefully with all the suggestions I can find something in between that will work for him. Thank you so much!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You're welcome.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here is a pattern if you can :sew:

http://www.cat-world.com.au/home-made-s ... a-overalls

One of the members here uses disposable baby diapers and wraps masking tape around the waist to help keep them on.

Here are some photos of using regular disposables.
Buddy_diaper.jpg
Fripple2.png
Fripple3.jpg