Constipated Manx kitten

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Bwalden

Constipated Manx kitten

Post by Bwalden »

I have an eight-week-old Persian kitten who was born with no tail at all we'll just a little stub of 1. She seem to be doing okay up until a few weeks ago when she got diarrhea and they put her on a medication to stop it. That's when all #### broke loose. Last Thursday she was so backed up I took her to the emergency vet. They had to sedate her and give her an enema. When I got her home she was still acting the same so I took her into my bed they had to tranquilize her and get the rest out. She seemed too good for 4 or 5 days until yesterday I had to take her back in for another enema. Today I took her to another vet and they said she was backed up again and was starting to throw up so they clean her out really good and said I will probably have to give her enemas everyday. Is this something that is causing her pain because I love her so much but I don't want her to be in pain. Also is it something she can live with?
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Re: Constipated Manx kitten

Post by BendyMom »

an all too familiar situation here at Bendy's Home. I have 5 megacolon cats.
#1 kick your vet. hard. they should have more advice than that! there are all kinds of ways you can help.

get miralax, avalable at any drugstore, walmart, dollar general,
also get psyllium husk powder (i order it off amazon but you can find it in health food stores or maybe pharmacies)

here is teh recipie i would use:

one small can of food (don't feed dry)
1/2 tsp miralx
1/4 tsp psyllium husk powdeer
1/2 tsp veggie oil
enough water to make it soupy.

look for fatty foods. you want to "grease the works" i try to give him canned foods that are at least 4 percent fat. blue buffalo wilderness is great but costs a fortune.

also giving SQ fluids often gets things moving. For Butterbean, who is 8 pounds, I give him 200mls of SQ fluids and usually about a half hour later we have movement. (he has spina bifida and requires a lot of additives and a little help to eliminate).

if the above recpie isn't helping you can add a few drops of mineral oil.
warm soaks are also helpful. sometimes geting the gut muscles to relax helps a great deal.

see if your vet is willing to help by getting you lactulose, which is a fantastic laxative, and by teaching you how to give SQ fluids. If they are not, call another vet. ask teh front desk questions, don't be shy. we often have to fight for our kitties. tell them you have a kitten with probable megacolon and you need a vet who is willing to help you learn how to treat him and give him a good life. Tell them you have talked to otehr people wth kittens and cats with this condition and you know it's possible. be determined. be fierce. they need to know that yes you are serious about caring for this kitten and you will do what you need to.

soem people will recommend pumpkin for fiber and t is good, but it wasn't enough for Butterbean. What made a huge difference wth hm was using psyllium husk powder.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
Bwalden

Post by Bwalden »

Wow thank you so much for responding. I have a good friend who has helped rescue cats and is a nurse come this morning to help me give the kitten her daily enema as per the other vet. It did not go well and ended with her bottom bleeding. So my friend suggested we go to her vet who has helped her rescue mini kittens. He was totally appalled about the daily enema thing and is more in line with what you were saying. He put her on a special diet of digestive care Veterinary cat food soft of course and three times a day dosages of the lacto Lux or I mean lactulose. To see if that will help get her flowing again
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

that sounds MUCH more like it!!!
glad you have a friend who has a nurse and who knows a good vet. lactulose is great stuff.
keep my recipie onhand, if the lactulose and special diet isn't quiet doing it you can talk to teh vet about adding some of teh things i've suggested.

but please, go back and kick that other vet in the shins.
he's an idiot.

do we get to see a pict of this cutie???
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
Bwalden

Post by Bwalden »

I've been trying to post a pic from my phone but it keeps saying it's too large I'll keep trying though she's a doll
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Yes, I couldn't agree more about enemas being for special use only. There are SO many softener options (lactulose being my choice, as well) that you can use. Enemas MIGHT be necessary on occasion, but certainly NOT every day!! Do you express poop (we call it Poop on Demand around here)? I never had to specially express poop with my boys; I could feel it in their colons when I expressed pee, and poop would come out first. There are also options for increasing fiber, if you should need or want to, and increasing water intake may be desirable as well.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Bwalden wrote:I've been trying to post a pic from my phone but it keeps saying it's too large I'll keep trying though she's a doll
Aww, we'd love to see pics. Let me see if I can find the directions on pic sizes... If you have PhotoShop or anything like that, even the free online stuff, you can reduce the size enough for the board.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Not sure if this has the size info... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6764
Bwalden

Post by Bwalden »

Test
Bwalden

Post by Bwalden »

Maybe it's not working because I'm trying on my phone. I might have to wait and try on my home computer
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I can't find the file size listed anywhere, but I know the board is sensitive to that.
Bwalden

Post by Bwalden »

here she is with her chocolate brother
Attachments
abigail.jpg
Bwalden

Post by Bwalden »

here is her expression when I say the word Enema lol
Attachments
abigail 2.jpg