Can an incontinent cat survive outdoors?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
mydogmookie

Can an incontinent cat survive outdoors?

Post by mydogmookie »

My husband and I have been caring for an incontinent stray cat that showed up at our front door about 3 weeks ago. We've taken him to a vet, and x-rays showed a spinal cord fracture at the sacral coccygeal area. His tail is limp, and he cannot pee or poop on his own. He is about 2 years old and has been neutered. We think someone dumped him off in our neighborhood. Instead of euthanizing him, we said we would take him home and give him a chance to recover. He is living in a kennel in our garage because we have 3 dogs and an indoor cat in our home. He is a very sweet cat EXCEPT when we express his bladder and bowels. My husband holds him buy the scruff of his neck, but that doesn't immobilize him, and he is vigilant in trying and claw and bite us while I express him. We do this 3 times a day, and it’s very unpleasant for all 3 of us, but when we’re done he is purring and loving again.

He has not recovered from his nerve damage and another vet and a local university of veterinarian medicine told us nothing can be done for him medically. We’ve contacted shelters and “pet sanctuaries” in a 50-mile radius around our home, but none have available space or are willing to take him.

I’m thinking about letting him out of our garage and giving him a shelter in our backyard. He would have a doghouse-like structure to protect him from the elements, and this doghouse would be in a ½ acre fenced area. If he stays in the fenced area, he would be protected from predators. We would continue to feed him and express him (but we would express him when we could - not 3 times a day). Otherwise, we’ll euthanize him.

Has anyone successfully kept an incontinent cat outdoors?
Thanks for any advice.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Can an incontinent cat survive outdoors?

Post by critters »

I had one I had to express didn't like it either; I would scruff him with one hand and hold him on his back on a towel pad and express him with the other hand. I honestly don't think he'd make it outside. Has anybody tried pee meds, like bethanechol or phenoxybenzamine? Beth. tends to be good for a floppy, leaky bladder, and PBZ usually helps with a spastic one, which he may have. Where is he? There's a Facebook group where you might get him adopted. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatsWithParalysis/

:thankyou: for taking care of this boy!
CarolC

Re: Can an incontinent cat survive outdoors?

Post by CarolC »

Debbie_Spain let her incontinent kitty, Kat, be outdoors. Here is a post that may help you.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8702&hilit=fly+strike
I would still recommend finding some way to express 3 times a day if at all possible? If you absolutely can't do 3, then I guess all you can do is try twice a day and see how he does, but I don't think that would be very advisable long term. If there is a way to do 3 times a day, you are more likely to avoid a bladder infection or "sludge" (crystals and stones). If you are doing twice a day, if it has any chance of succeeding long term, I would think you will want to be extra sure to get him really empty each time, and possibly talk to the vet about what diet will be best for him to prevent problems.