"Hunched" position after expressing bladder?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
amyestes

"Hunched" position after expressing bladder?

Post by amyestes »

Hi friends and happy Thanksgiving to all! Miss Kitty and I are at the 4 1/2 year mark together and I remain very thankful for this group. We wouldn't have made it without you!

Miss Kitty is almost 15. She was hit by a car before she came to me and although she can walk, she cannot pee or poop on her own. She does still try to poop on her own sometimes, and she never fights me evacuating her bowels.

My routine is to evacuate her bowels, then express her bladder. In the past few months, she has started to really hate having her bladder expressed. She hides under the bed after I express the poop. I don't usually have problems expressing her bladder anymore, thank goodness, but afterwards she very often assumes a hunched position and seems very uncomfortable.

Does anyone else have this experience? I'm trying to understand what is causing the discomfort and what I could do differently to make her feel better. I hate seeing her in that hunched position!

The discomfort usually seems to pass within a half an hour at most. Sometimes I can get her to play and that seems to distract her, but if I stop, it's right back to the "hunch." She usually eats once she is feeling better and then seems fine. Grooms herself and takes a nice long nap.

Thank you in advance for any insights or suggestions you can offer!

Amy
critters
Founding Member

Re: "Hunched" position after expressing bladder?

Post by critters »

Hmm. I've never seen that. I wonder if it could be a spasm in or near the bladder?
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Re: "Hunched" position after expressing bladder?

Post by BendyMom »

I would get a urinalysis done. I find the sudden increased fear of expressing, or dislike of expressing can often be related to bladder pain, which usually indicates infection.

Glad she has been doing well :)
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.