Incontinence due to pelvic fracture

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Savvy

Incontinence due to pelvic fracture

Post by Savvy »

Please help! My 8 month old cat Sam has sustained a pelvic fracture. I don't know how, and I don't know when. He doesn't appear to be in any pain. Last week I noticed strong urine smells throughout my house, but nothing was wet, and I couldn't find the source. I have a 2 year old Aussie, an 8 month old Mane Coon, and 5 kids, but everyone is potty trained. I also found a few balls of poop. And that was a mystery as well. A few days ago Sam was sitting on the bench in my kitchen, and when he climbed down the bench was wet. Not puddled, but as if it had been wiped with a wet rag, only it smelled like urine. I mistook it as Sam spraying. I've never owned a male cat before and it just seemed to make sense. I put Sam outside, (he's an indoor/outdoor cat) and wouldn't let him come back inside. This morning I picked him up when I went outside and cradled him in my arms, and I noticed he had a ball of poop (just like the ones I had found previously) hanging out of his anus, and his bottom was soaking wet. That's when I realized he has been incontinent, and not at all spraying like I had thought. I took him to the vet and she noticed straight away that his tail is limp. She ordered an xray and found that his pelvis is fractured, and he's suffering from nerve damage. She suggested putting him down. She offered to keep him for two days to watch for any improvement. So I have 2 days to decide if he will be put to sleep. I need some serious advise. He's not in pain and acts normal which is why it took so long to realize something is wrong. I don't know what to do. I don't know that I can have an incontinent cat. Not because of lack of compassion, but for sanitary reasons and having 5 kids. I wish I knew what time frame to expect, but I know it's too unpredictable. Not knowing how or when the injury happened is making it even harder. I feel like it must've been within this month. That's when I noticed the urine. How long after a nerve injury would it take before he's leaking urine?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Incontinence due to pelvic fracture

Post by critters »

:whale: I expect he got a spinal cord injury from whatever it was that broke his pelvis, maybe being hit by a car. Chances are that the incontinence will at least improve given time, and it may well go away altogether. Recovery would probably take months, and he might need help pooping and peeing (expressing) in the meantime. Diapers are a possibility as well, but if he's expressed regularly, what ain't in can't leak out!!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Incontinence due to pelvic fracture

Post by critters »

PS--If you do Facebook you might try https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatsWithParalysis/ , even if you decide to rehome him.