Broken leg, likp tail, no bowel control

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Broken leg, likp tail, no bowel control

Post by critters »

sparkle_cats wrote:awww, i'm glad to hear he's doing better - despite being an escape artist! :) mine is doing okay too, i've been trying to figure out how much laculose to give him to make him poop since i haven't really figured out how to manually express that. i'm able to do the bladder, but that's it. i'm planning on giving him time and am trying acupuncture next week. hang in there!
Like Bek3k, with my Buddy, the poop always came out before the pee, if he had any poop to be expressed. I didn't do anything special to get it out.
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

That's so interesting. I wish it was that way for Caesar. I had to take him in for an enema and they said it was good because he was really backed up. Of course, he come home and immediately ate and hasn't pooped yet despite the laculose and fiber in the food. I just don't want to keep up this cycle. Though, when feeling him, it still feels like he's full -- despite the enema. His belly area feels full, but his back near his spine is def thinner than before the enema so maybe it worked.

They said he lost a pound since this whole thing happened - is that a bad sign? He's walking around fine and his tail has been twitching more, but he hasn't used the litterbox since last week. I'm really hoping the acupuncture does something for him this week.
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

Was just responding to Critters that I wish my cat had the same thing, but does not. Yah I'm not sure the acu will work, but it's the last thing I can try. Unfortunately, I don't have a job, so there's really only so much more I can do for him financially. Beyond that I will keep trying the expressing on my own. I am getting nervous that he's going to end up with another UTI, but crossing my fingers that I can keep his bladder under control and that he'll eventually start using the box again. :/

How's your little baby today? I hope well.
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

I forgot to add Sabre has lost some weight too.
What is Caesar eating? I have found if I can get Sabre to eat some wet canned food his poop is softer and comes out easier.
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

Aww, hugs. Caesar eats wet and dry food, it's difficult because I have two cats, but maybe I should just separate them during feeding time. I hope the weight loss isn't a bad sign.
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

You could also ask the vet for some type of laxative to give him. And about tge weight loss
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

sparkle--I'd raise the lactulose more if necessary; the worst that can happen is diarrhea, which isn't fun with a handicapper, but if that happens I'd make note of how much it was, so as to know that's what would happen. You know--note the dose so you'd know what would happen if you cross it.

For a heavy cat, I wouldn't worry too much about a pound of weight loss, but there are special super yummy foods, like Science Diet a/d and Royal Canin Recovery, that have more calories. They are prescription items, so I look for grocery store foods, even baked chicken, etc, to start with if I'm looking to tempt a fur's appetite.
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

How is Ceasar doing? I have been thinking alot anout him and praying.
Sabre is much the same. I still have to express pee 2-3 times a day. And the poop still just falls out on its own.
If I have to express his poop he cries and acts like it really hurts.
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

Hi! Thanks for reaching out! I've been meaning to reach out to you too and update everyone on this forum. Caesar cat is doing great!! I've been tracking his progress - he's peeing and pooing on his own now. And just the other day he did his normal thing of dashing through the house after pooing. He made two loops! I was so excited. I'm confident that he's made it.

We did try acupuncture, but that vet told me that he was impressed with his come back and wasn't sure if it would be the acu that helped or just the fact that I gave him time. We only did one session, but can do another if it seems necessary.

The only thing is that he sometimes misses his pee out of the litterbox. He's not squatting low enough, but that's okay. I don't mind cleaning it. I am debating removing this giant litter box though to see if he'd start to use his old one with the door. He's mobile enough to get in and out of everything else in our apartment and it seems he could get in and out of his box. Any thoughts on that?

I hope Sabre feels better soon. It's been about 6 weeks since my accident with Caesar, but I noticed steady progress after week 4-5. I'm so, so happy I did not give up on him and am beyond grateful for everyone's support here.

Another thing you might want to do is write down his progress on a calendar. I also wrote down how much poo he got in (in inches, per Carol) because I was worried about him getting mega colon by not getting the poo out. There's something about writing little progress that is helpful and helped "cheerlead" me into keep going.

Best of luck to you and Sabre. Sending you so many good vibes.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Personally, I don't think I'd pull the new box yet, but could you put them side-by-side to see if he transfers back to the old one?

Good idea about keeping track of progress with a calendar; I've never done that.
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

Awesome news about Caesar!!!
So glad he is using litter box.
Sabre still shows no signs of knowing he has to go. I am expressing him 2-3 times a day and finding poop nuggets left behind. And no use of his tail.
It has been 7 weeks since he was hurt.
But I am not giving up either. If he does not get better than we will just keep going as we are.
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

Good idea about putting the boxes side by side. It might confuse my other cat, but we'll see. He's currently in a giant box!
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

Don't give up on Sabre! You can do it!! Yes, I am very, very lucky that he improved. It's honestly a miracle. I hope your kitty has one too. xo
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

Thank you. I am not giving up.