Broken leg, likp tail, no bowel control

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Bek3k

Broken leg, likp tail, no bowel control

Post by Bek3k »

Sabre was injured Tuesday night. No idea how.
Was taken to vet on Wednesday.
Diagnosed with broken rear leg near knee. Opted for no surgery as it was incredibly costly and vet said he woukd not even do it for his cat. No casting or splint either.
Brought Sabre home. He seemed to have no bladder control. I figured it was just the pain meds or from just trauma. And have found that his tail is also limp and he cais not able to control his poop just slides out. I have not noticed any more pee leakage. But not sure if this is due to regaining control or he just can't go. I have washed and kept him as clean as possible. I am loath to try to express his bladder as of yet. I don't want to stress him to much.
I called and made a vet appointment for Monday. I'm a little upset that they didn't notice or try to determine if you had any other injuries except for a broken leg.
My question is this how often does I can't regain use of their tail and bowel and bladder function after a severe trauma?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Broken leg, likp tail, no bowel control

Post by critters »

:whale: Hmm. I can't believe nothing for the broken leg--cast, splint, amputation, or something. It also sounds like a bit of a spinal cord injury. Most critters get at least some recovery, some a complete recovery, but it takes time. I suggest getting somebody to see if he's peeing; if he's unable to pee, he could get sick or even die. If I were you, I'd have them show me how to express his poop and pee; it takes practice, and it may take several times of showing you. When I was learning, I drove everybody here crazy. :mrgreen:
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

He does have an appointment at the vet to find out what's going on tomorrow. The vet said that this type of break they generally don't cast. I'm really hoping and praying for the best outcome
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Just wanted to say that once I came home and found my senior kitty with a limp tail and a large potted plant on a plant stand was overturned, so I assumed it fell on him somehow while pets were playing. I took him to the vet but the vet said his tail wasn't broken. Gradually his tail improved and he became able to raise it again. Tail injuries can cause other problems, but in our case his tail just improved. It's kind of wait and see on something like that, whether it's just temporarily bruised or what. I agree with critters, you can help him urinate at home if the vet decides he needs to be helped. Many people here express their pets, either short term or longer. Here is an earlier post where I described it.
CarolC in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1704&p=6946&hilit=plant+stand#p6946 wrote: My cat hurt his tail rocketing around the living room when he was 20 years old (yes, 20!). I came home and a big potted plant that was on a 3-legged stand was on the floor and his tail was hanging down like a horse's tail. The vet said it wasn't broken. He regained enough feeling in it to be able to use the litter box, and as far as I know it didn't affect his urination at all.
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

As of now he still has no use of his tail. And has no control over his bladder or bowel. At this time I am expressing his bladder at least twice a day and keeping him clean from poop as much as I can
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

I hope your little furbaby is doing okay!
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

His leg has healed. He has a slight limp now and it kinda gives out when he runs. But so much better when walking.
Still no control of tail. Nor bladder or bowel control. I do my best to express his bladder 3-4 times a day and if any poo is close to gently push that out too (TMI perhaps).
His tail does not seem to hinder him nor show any signs of sores from being dragged. I am keeping a close eye out. If that does development it might have to be aputated.
I still am praying for recovery.
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

I'm sorry to hear about all of this. I'm actually going through a similar situation with my cat. He somehow has nerve damage, but nothing is broken, but he is having problems using the litterbox, so I'm also expressing him. I did notice he used it twice, but not to poo yet. We've taken him to the vet for enemas for the poo management. Huge heart hugs to you and keep going. I'm not sure how long this will take, but I'm willing to give him time. Hang in there. xo
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

Thank you. You hang in there too. My cat has no sensation of needing to go so he doesn't even get into the
My baby is just 1 so I am not giving up on him.
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

I really understand. Today I noticed that my furbaby, Caesar is his name, only needs one little push when you express him and the rest falls out on it's own. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not. He's living little poo nuggets too -- I just wish he would use the litter. :/

Hang in there.
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

Sabre is kinda the same.
Just kinda slides out. Anywhere. Anytime. I guess he has so sensation he has to go.
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

How's Sabre doing?
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

He is doing great. As far as his broken leg goes. Running and jumping and climbing trees. At times his leg will just kinda slide out from under him. But he manages quite well. I keep him inside as much as possible. But he is an escape artist. He can slip past yiu nd you don't even see him.
He still has no tail control. Nor can he pee or poo on purpose. I have to express him 3-4 times a day. And the poo just comes out any time any where.
How is your baby?
sparkle_cats

Post by sparkle_cats »

awww, i'm glad to hear he's doing better - despite being an escape artist! :) mine is doing okay too, i've been trying to figure out how much laculose to give him to make him poop since i haven't really figured out how to manually express that. i'm able to do the bladder, but that's it. i'm planning on giving him time and am trying acupuncture next week. hang in there!
Bek3k

Post by Bek3k »

Good to hear your baby is doing better. I have found the only tome I can express the poop is if when I am doing the bladder the poop is in the chute, so to speak. Lol
I want to do the acupuncture but can't find one near me.