Not pooping

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Ldropps

Not pooping

Post by Ldropps »

I am probably overreacting.

My Frankie has missed two poops. He is normally like clockwork, pooping after he eats. We've had him six months and he's never gone this long without going.

I am thinking about feeding him some pumpkin.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!
CarolC

Re: Not pooping

Post by CarolC »

The pumpkin might be worth a try, they recommend only using the plain kind, no spices. If it isn't working, you might ask the vet about lactulose syrup. It is a stool softener that is not habit forming and can be used for the life of the pet if needed. Dogs seem to like the taste. It only takes a little and you can adjust the dose till you have the desired results.

There are a number of techniques you can use to stimulate him to eliminate. I don't know if you saw them in this post. I use the pinch method, but an ice cube is simple or a Q-tip works for a lot of dogs.

:arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586
Ldropps

Re: Not pooping

Post by Ldropps »

Thank you for the link. I hadn't seen it.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!