No more Fecal Incontinence in my Manx Syndrome Cat!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
BeauBoi

No more Fecal Incontinence in my Manx Syndrome Cat!

Post by BeauBoi »

Hello All!
I have been lurking here for the past month or so, every since I adopted a 4 week old high-functioning Manx Syndrome kitten. When I say "high-functioning", I mean specifically that he has excellent mobility (via hopping) and bladder control, but suffers from fecal incontinence. Or I should say, he used to suffer from fecal incontinence.

I changed him over from regular kitten food to a Raw Prey Diet, and he doesnt seem to have any problems with fecal incontinence anymore.

I realize that Manx Syndrome affects different cats to different degrees, and that my kitten is high-functioning where as other sufferers may have more severe symptoms, but the Raw Prey Diet has done wonders for us and I wanted to share the experience on the chance that it may help someone else.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

BeauBoi
critters
Founding Member

Re: No more Fecal Incontinence in my Manx Syndrome Cat!

Post by critters »

:stream:
BeauBoi

Re: No more Fecal Incontinence in my Manx Syndrome Cat!

Post by BeauBoi »

Waking up this morning, it occurred to me that I probably didn't do an adequate job describing how I decided to try Raw Prey Diet or why it seems to be working.

Several years ago, one of my older cats (Miss Opal) was diagnoised with IBS. While looking for a better diet for her I came across the Raw Prey Diet, but we had 4 cats total and I decided against trying it simply because I felt it would be too difficult to implement just corner cat and I couldn't afford to put all 4 cats on it (not to mention, that my spouse was disgusted by even the idea...). However, when Bijue (our Manx Syndrome kitten) was diagnoised was having Manx Syndrome, I remembered reading that e Raw Prey Diet resulted in 2/3 fewer poops, smaller diameter poops, and firmer poops. Since, at the time, Bijou was running around the house with poop squirting out of his little butt, I figured "What the heck", it couldn't hurt to try.

Bijou lacks any anal definition. His little anus looks like an "outi" belly button, and the Raw Prey Diet hasn't changed that. Before the diet, as soon as he realized that he was pooping he would run for the litter box squirting poop the entire way. He always made a valiant effort, but my carpets, my sheets, and the house in general was always a poop covered mess. Thankfully, the article I read all those years ago was accurate. He poops WAY less (I would guesstimate around 1/4 as much), his poops are smaller in diameter by 1/3ish, and there is no more "leaky butt" as the poops are firm but not hard. The best part, is that now when he realizes that he is pooping, he doesn't have any trouble making it to the litter box. Now, he does still poop in his sleep on the odd occasion but when he does it isn't the sticky matted mess that it was before, now it is a firm lozenge shaped pellet.

Also, remember the IBS cat, Miss Opal, from the begining of this story? Well, her IBS has cleared up too, now that I have changed all of our cats over to the Raw Prey Diet (well, ALMOST all of our cats; one older cat refuses to eat anything with feet or fur lol). We also have an elderly cat who had almost completely stopped eating who has taken to this diet with gusto. It seems to have given him an entirely new lease on life!

We were spending SO much on the special IBS diet for Miss Opal, and our elderly cat (ManMan) was on an expensive special diet too. So, for us, the Raw Prey Diet is saving us a LOT of money, BUT ONLY BECAUSE I RAISE MICE AND RATS FOR MY BUSINESS (I breed Chinese Beauty Snakes). If we had to purchase the mice frozen it would add up to about the same as we paid for the special diets our cats were previously on-- about $2.50 per cat/ per day.

I would also like to note, that since I raise my own feeder animals, I am able to provide a more varied diet than just mice and rats. I also feed day old chicks and baby quail (which I do still buy, but I hope to start hatching my own later this year; I have an industrial incubator that is empty during the snake off-season), multimammary mice (aka "African Soft Furred Rats") and feeder anoles and geckos. Since theses are all feeder animals that I fed my snakes already, all I had to do was up production to accommodate my cats. All in all, the raised production costs me ~ $18.00/month with an added cost of ~ $8.00/month for the chicks and quail, for a total cost per month of ~ $26.00. Which is a HUGE savings for us.

Anyway, I thought I should clarify that the Raw Prey Diet did NOT cure Manx Syndrome. It does, however, make it MUCH more manageable for our little Bijou.

Thanks for reading,
BeauBoi