Bloody urine

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Stargazer6

Bloody urine

Post by Stargazer6 »

Lego became rear paralyzed last year in January. I have been cathing him daily since. Today he had a lot of blood in his urine and blood clots. I've got to get him into the vet and don't get paid until Friday. Gonna ask a vet if I can post date a check to get him in tomorrow. I had noticed yesterday that his urine was dark but today he is dripping blood when it is close to time to cath him. I hope that it is just a severe infection but my mind is going to more horrible things. I've not had any issues for the past year and a half with his urine. I am quite freaked out.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Bloody urine

Post by critters »

:whale: Blood is pretty typical of a UTI, but I don't blame you for being freaked out, especially with clots and all. Can you take him to a different vet and get him in earlier?
Stargazer6

Post by Stargazer6 »

I got Lego into the vet today. Antibiotics and rimadyl. I believe he is having bladder spasms. The vet hopes the rimadyl will get rid of inflammation and help with that.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

UTI usually responds to antibiotics pretty quickly. It's been 3 days, how is his urine looking now.
Stargazer6

Post by Stargazer6 »

Lego's urine is already looking much better. There is still some blood but nothing like the other day. I was thinking about investing in the test strips for urine to check for infection. I know I once saw them on a medical supply site where I had got some of his supplies.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I've found PBZ (phenoxybenzamine) to help loads with bladder spasms. My Buddy had them something terrible. For him, we found that bethanechol, another common pee med for critters, increased the spasms markedly.
Stargazer6

Post by Stargazer6 »

I have only seen him shoot pee like a rocket since this uti came on. This was why I guessed at spasms. He normally does not do this. When I explained to the vet she was thinking bladder spasms as well. Hopefully, this is a temporary thing.