Bassinet or Drag Bag?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Ldropps

Bassinet or Drag Bag?

Post by Ldropps »

Our Frankie pretty much stays on a poop schedule, but sometimes he poops in bed at night. It doesn't bother me at all, but my husband has started to sleep in a different bed. It's a dilema - I would like to sleep in the same bed as my hubby, but I'm not willing to have Frankie sleep somewhere else. Frankie would not have that either. We have tried diapers, but the poop comes out the tail hole.

I first thought about a bassinet and wanted to ask if there were specific ones that people liked, but on the top of the forum is a picture of a cat in a drag bag and it got me thinking. Does anyone have experience with both? Frankie is rather particular where he sleeps - always in the middle, up by my head or tucked into my neck. This makes me think a drag bag would work the best.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!
CarolC

Re: Bassinet or Drag Bag?

Post by CarolC »

I have not tried a drag bag, but he might prefer it since he's used to sleeping with you. Would your husband accept it, inasmuch as there could still possibly be some temporary odors if he doodles in his drag bag? If your husband is not complaining about odors, just the ick factor, then it might be the solution. It would be less laundry than a playpen/bassinet. With the playpen you will be washing doggy laundry every couple of days (no problem, you can even get a separate laundry bag to put it in till you are ready to run a load). You need ample blankets or towels for the bottom of the playpen if you want him to sleep sans diaper (good for the skin).
:wash: :laundry:
I like a playpen myself, but my dogs were not used to sleeping with me, so it was not an adjustment for them. However, if you do decide on a playpen, you can put it so close to the bed that your fingers touch the netting when you are lying in bed, and he'll know you're right there. :)

Have you tried expressing the bowel? He still may not be 100% doodle free overnight, but it helps. Tips on expressing the bowel are in this article.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586

Here is an example of a playpen with 3 pieces of linens. There's a blanket, a quilted bottom sheet, and underneath you can't see it but there is also a fleece pad. Every few days I have to wash to keep up. With the drag bag, you wouldn't have all that.
playpen-pink.png
Ldropps

Post by Ldropps »

Thank you.

I haven't thought about expressing his bowels.

I am no stranger to doggie laundry. :) Frankie uses two belly bands a day.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!
Ldropps

Post by Ldropps »

Here's an update on Frankie:

We tried the drag bag first. He hated being in it. He would just pout and cry.

Next we moved on the the bassinet. That went better. He will sleep in it.

:thankyou: for the idea of expressing his bowels. Since he does it on his own I didn't think about trying that. Now we do it before bed. I think that's what's making all the difference. Frankie has gone six days now without any poop in the bed!
- Laura

Ldropps

Post by Ldropps »

While Frankie has been really good about not going in the bed, my husband is still traumatized. He's been sleeping in the guest bedroom for a long time. I would like to have him back in bed with me so we are transitioning Frankie to the bassinet at night. Honestly, it breaks my heart when he cries, but I know this is for the best.
- Laura

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That's frustrating, but I don't know what else you can do. For his new bed, you might make a bedtime routine to make going to bed fun? Treats? I love those little Milk Bone minis. They're only 5 calories. You can put one in the bassinet and then when you put him to bed tonight he'll find it. My dogs have loved their playpens, so I hope your dog will like his, too. The main thing is to make it comfortable with a fluffy blanket or towel, nice water bowl, all that good stuff. I hope it works out. I know you'll miss his little warm body next to you at night. Maybe when your husband sees the bassinet is clean every morning, he'll consider letting him back in bed someday...
:angel:
Ldropps

Post by Ldropps »

CarolC wrote: For his new bed, you might make a bedtime routine to make going to bed fun? Treats? I love those little Milk Bone minis. They're only 5 calories. You can put one in the bassinet and then when you put him to bed tonight he'll find it.
That's a great idea. Thank you.
- Laura