Data on incontinence prognosis (know of any others?)

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Philacatshia

Data on incontinence prognosis (know of any others?)

Post by Philacatshia »

Has anyone found data on recovery rates?

I found reference to one study from 1985 on how long it takes to know if cats are likely to recover urinary continence (Smeak DD, Olmstead ML. Fracture/luxations of the sacrococcygeal area in the cat: a retrospective study of 51cases. Vet Surg 1985; 14:319–24.).

"The prognosis based on a case series of 51 cats with sacrococcygeal injuries was good for return of normal urinary function in cats that had intact anal reflex and perineal sensation at the time of initial presentation. If normal urination returned, it did so between 2–30 days (mean 13 days). Every cat that could not urinate normally within 1 month remained incontinent during the 2–36 month follow-up period. Tail function may take several months or longer to improve. In the same study, tail function returned to its fullest extent between 7–150 days (mean 31 days). For this reason the authors do not recommend early tail amputation."

I found that summary in this article (which is about lots of issues around pelvic trauma, not just incontinence):
http://www-staro.vef.unizg.hr/org/kirur ... trauma.pdf
Bully: neutered male cat, at age 2 his tail was run over by a car, causing incontinence. His tail is amputated, bladder & colon were expressed 2x/day. He lived to 17.5 years and died of a kidney tumor.
CarolC

Re: Data on incontinence prognosis (know of any others?)

Post by CarolC »

Philacatshia wrote:Every cat that could not urinate normally within 1 month remained incontinent during the 2–36 month follow-up period.
I do not know of any studies (though there may be some), but I do know of a cat whose case did not agree with the above statement from the study quoted. Raz (Erasmus) began urinating on his own at 14 weeks post injury.

Here is a detailed thread about what all his family went through with him.

viewtopic.php?t=15599

and here is an excellent website about his recovery timeline.

http://www.kestrel.ws/erasmus.html
critters
Founding Member

Re: Data on incontinence prognosis (know of any others?)

Post by critters »

That wasn't true of Buddy, either. It took some months before he became continent again, but he did.