Baby powder?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Ldropps

Baby powder?

Post by Ldropps »

Our vet and our groomer recommended using talcum powder on Frankie because he has a bit of redness where his belly band is. I searched the forum and saw some people do this. I still don't know if it's a good idea though. Baby powder has gotten such a bad wrap as of late.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanx.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!
CarolC

Re: Baby powder?

Post by CarolC »

I haven't used baby powder, but I've seen it mentioned here and as far as I know it's OK and would be safe to try. There was one member here some years ago who wondered if it was getting in her pet's urethra, but I don't think she ever knew for sure. The thing I've used to prevent redness under a malewrap is Desitin original diaper cream. It contains zinc oxide but the vet said it would be OK as long as he didn't lick it. I kept an eye on him and he wasn't licking, so it worked really well. I liked the fact that you didn't have to butter him with cream every time you changed the pad, it would last through several changes. In our case, my dog was in his wrap 24/7. If he had been sleeping without it, or if he'd had other time during the day without it, the diaper cream would have posed a problem, because I would have had to be sure to wipe it off before letting him air his skin (because he'd be more likely to lick if he wasn't wearing the wrap). In a case like that, I would prefer a product without zinc, such as plain Vaseline or maybe old fashioned A&D ointment. I tried Vaseline and A&D, but honestly the Desitin worked best at protecting his skin.
:pardon:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Baby powder?

Post by critters »

I'd think the biggest thing with critters would be inhaling it, but I've never used it with them. We used Cavilon spray.