Dog freaks out when expressing bladder

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
614joe

Dog freaks out when expressing bladder

Post by 614joe »

This all happened just this week. Normal healthy dog. 6ish year old weiner dog- Hans. He was playing jumping, and landed wrong. He yelped and showed discomfort. Leg started stiffen up the next day, went to vet, was told he herniated a disc and could get worse. Not even 4 hours after leaving the Vet he lost all mobility of his back end.

Vet told us surgery was $5k or to crate and see if he gets better and thats the route we are taking.

This is my first day trying to express his bladder, the vet showed me how yesterday. When showing me, my dog didnt seem to mind or even care.

I try today and he is not having it. He wiggles, and tries to pull himself away, or turn away making it #### near impossible. After re positioning him multiple times i can get a Pee stream but he never holds long enough for me to keep going or get it all out.

Is this normal? Can he feel me doing this? I try on his side but he tries to jump up and flops like a fish. Doing it with his butt on my knee and him standing works best. Also, his little red rocket is always all of the way out, especially when i try to express him, is that normal?
Alsoooo. He has yet to poop in 24hrs. The vet said he should just crap himself, is this true? Im just worried. A lot is happening, 2 days ago i had a normal dog.
CarolC

Re: Dog freaks out when expressing bladder

Post by CarolC »

Hi,

Your description of your dog's behavior is a very good one. More than once I've noticed some of my pets will be unexpectedly well-behaved at the vet and I can't understand it. My vet says that is common, they behave better when they are in the clinic environment where they don't feel so safe and dominant and self-assured. Hopefully before long he will learn to associate expressing with the relief and praise it brings and will cooperate more, right now it is all new to him. You're doing good if you are getting a stream before he wiggles away. :trophy:

This is just a suggestion, but you might want to consider a different method of expressing where you can control him better. It does not matter what method you use, just so you get him empty. The vet showed you one way, but there are many ways. For example, if you can put him in the grass and kneel over him so you are facing his tail and he is facing your shoes, kind of put yor feet together so you block him and he can't make an exit in that direction, and then express him, then all you really have to deal with is the business end. If he is strong in the grass, try it on the bathroom floor with a pad under him. It is harder on your knees but he'll have less traction. After my dog was spayed and had to be expressed she struggled to walk away each time I tried. I got a bar stool and put her front feet on it so there was nowhere to go and she stayed still long enough for me to work my fingers up over the bladder. Of course you have to consider safety, the size of the dog, how much support his back needs. I don't want to make a suggestion that might result in a fall. If he behaved well up on a table, maybe that is the trick, though you may have tried that already.

There are a lot of different methods of expressing, and you can see videos showing them if you scroll to the end of this article.

:arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

The rocket issue is probably one of two things. Either it may be a symptom of a full bladder (see this post)
Dianne in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12276&p=63668#p63668 wrote: I think what you are describing is a a very full bladder that can cause the appearance of an erection. My dog appears like that when his bladder is very full, after a long night. After expressing, the pe*is appearance will be more normal.

You may consider expressing more often. The opening (os) of the sheath will sometimes relax and allow the the pee pee to hyperextend from an over full bladder.

That's my experience with this issue.

D
The other possibility is that it is neurological. In that case it is called a priapism. Some people have been able to get it to go back in the sheath during bathing.
Marni in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4163&p=21489&hilit=simon+penis#p21489 wrote: Simon's penis is usually out and he cannot retract it. Sometimes, I can retract it in hydrotherapy. He does not lick it excessively and it is not impeded by the opening in the prepuce. So, I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe paraphimosis or some variety. I don't think it's phimosis. I have spoken with my local vet several times and he's not at all concerned. Says only concern would be if the penis got dry or cracked and this is not happening. Loval vet said to apply KY jelly to keep penis supple. It is already supple so I'm not applying anything. It would only encourage Simon to lick it off, I fear. Simon wears a male wrap and clothe baby diaper most of the time.

Can I contact PetPlace and see if they have additional info on his sort of situation? I'm wondering if this is a common problem for paralyzed little males.

Thanks for the info.

Marni
Some dogs it will just stay out. If it stays out, you may need to think about putting some kind of lubrication on it to keep the skin from drying.

There is one case on this forum where a dog with a priapism chewed himself badly. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10910&p=63931 As far as I know (I am not a vet) priapism is not normally related to chewing. Some dogs have priapism and do not chew, and some dogs will chew during recovery (feet/toes and the male area are the places they often chew) and do not have priapism, but it is something to watch just to be on the safe side. I would keep an eye on him to watch for any licking or chewing. If you notice that, put him in a cone collar right away and get him to the vet asap. There is medication that can work to prevent chewing, such as gabapentin.

For more info on this subject, search the forum using keywords such as 'sheath' and 'priapism'.

I would not worry too much if he has not gone number two yet. The bowel does take care of itself but can be slower due to lack of exercise, medication, stress, or simply not wanting to mess the bed. There are some tricks to stimulate him to empty, which are described in this article.

:arrow: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586

You might try the ice cube method as an easy one.

:gang:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dog freaks out when expressing bladder

Post by critters »

:strobe: Yeah, my Buddy wasn't fond of expressing, either. It got so I would put a folded towel down to pad his back, and scruff him there with one hand while expressing him with the other. :twisted: