Odor Reducing Shampoo

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Ldropps

Odor Reducing Shampoo

Post by Ldropps »

I've searched posts and it seems people are reluctant to use any shampoos at all. While my Frankie has been peeing outside since March 2018, he sometimes gets it on his legs. I bathe him about every 1-2 weeks. Can anyone recommend a shampoo? I don't know if I even need an odor eliminating shampoo, but that's all I've tried. I've mainly used Nature's Miracle honey sage shampoo, but I don't like the smell of it. Thanks in advance.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!
CarolC

Re: Odor Reducing Shampoo

Post by CarolC »

I used to use Four Paws oatmeal shampoo for Matilda (leaky old lady senior dachshund) but that was over 10 years ago so I don't know if they still make it or if it is the same ingredients now. It had a fragrance but didn't knock you over. I really liked Sulfoxydex for Dolly (dual incontinent) and I was going to give you a link to read about it, but it appears it is no longer available? Bummer. I used to get it at the vet. I'm pretty sure if your vet clinic has a display of shampoos they'd probably let you take the cap off and sniff them. I do that in the store and nobody has ever said anything to me...
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I frequently used plain old dollar store shampoo that had a smell I liked on Baby, who was severely brain damaged and who got LOTS of baths. I used only a tiny dollop of shampoo, and I put it in the wash water and mixed it up well. That made it a lot easier to rinse out, so it wouldn't dry her skin too badly.
Ldropps

Post by Ldropps »

Thank you both.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!