How to get urine smell out of fur in between baths

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Ldropps

How to get urine smell out of fur in between baths

Post by Ldropps »

I was leaving this morning and realized the Frankie had peed himself. I didn't have time to bathe him so I put on some waterless shampoo. That didn't touch the urine smell. Any ideas about what I could use? Of course, he'll get a bath tonight, once we get home.
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!
CarolC

Re: How to get urine smell out of fur in between baths

Post by CarolC »

A lot of people just use baby wipes, but I've never been that big on using a lot of chemicals on my pets. They make special pet wipes which are like baby wipes, and they say they work for urine odor but I haven't actually tried them. Here is an example:

https://www.chewy.com/petkin-petwipes-d ... gIV1_D_BwE

With his small size, if it happens again I wonder if you could do a quick wash with water and baking soda in the kitchen sink, not a whole bath.

If he is getting urine on a limited area, then shaving the area makes it easier to wipe clean (it's called a sanitary clip).

Dolcezza's mom highly recommended a "rapid bath" which is a spray shower attachment you can use on your pet during diaper changes. She is a nurse and her dog is a Maltese.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. Maybe a wash rag with water and a little bit of sniffy shampoo, then "rinsed" with water on the cloth? I've also done many a butt bath.
Ldropps

Post by Ldropps »

Wet wipes, even pet ones aren't wet enough to help at all.

I have an Aquapaw for bath time. It really makes for quick baths, bit it's not much help on the go. What I ended up doing was getting a cloth wet and wiping him down when I had a break in errands. I just wish I had something I could spray on him. Would diluted vinegar work? Or acv or some kind of essential oil?
- Laura

Mom of Frankie, a yorkiepoo adopted on 12/28/16 at 6 months old. He was stepped on at 9 weeks & broke his back at T12. He has underwent water & cold laser therapy. On 2/9/17 he received his cart. There's no stopping him now!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The wet washcloth sounds very good, or a cloth and a spray bottle.

I haven't tried vinegar or acv or essential oils.

Here are 2 more possibilities.

Scout's House sells a waterless shampoo. They rehabilitate disabled dogs and if they say it's good then I would trust them. They could have recommended anything, but they recommend this one. It is kind of expensive and I've never tried it. They give a number to call if you want to ask them if in their experience it will do what you want.
waterless_shampoo.jpg
https://scoutshouse.com/product/quik-clean-waterless-shampoo/ wrote: A shower, a bath – sometimes it’s too much work to get a pet, especially a big dog or one who’s paralyzed, cleaned up. For those moments, there’s Quik Clean Waterless Shampoo. Created to bathe messy cats and dogs without the use of soap and water, Waterless Shampoo is a lifesaver for those of us with incontinent pets, pets recovering from surgery, or who sometimes need spot cleaning. It’s pH balanced and has optical brighteners to remove tear stains and lanolin and conditioners that leave skin clean and coat silky. Just spray it on, rub it in with a towel or sponge, and wipe dry. It’s that easy – and as we can attest at Scout’s House, it’s that good!

Perfect for pets who are: incontinent; recovering from injury or surgery; geriatric.
Nature's miracle makes a spray like you were saying. I haven't used their spray, but I've used gallons of their carpet cleaner, it really works. The freshening spray comes in two fragrances: spring water or honey sage.
Natures_Miracle_freshening_spray_sm.JPG
http://www.naturesmiracle.com/products/dog/grooming/skin-and-coat-supreme-odor-control-freshening-spray.aspx wrote: Skin & Coat Supreme Odor Control - Freshening Spray
Nature's Miracle Supreme Odor Control Freshening Spray neutralizes a wide variety of odors and provides long term odor control. This soap-free formula is safe to use with spot-on flea and tick products and contains no dyes or parabens. The 4 in 1 benefits of this unique spray include odor neutralizing, deodorizing, freshening, and coat conditioning.

Formulated with an odor neutralizer & deodorizer for tough pet coat odors
Maintains essential pet skin oils
Soap Free - Safe with spot-on flea & tick products*
No dyes or parabens

*If spot-on product is used as directed by the manufacturer of the spot-on product
Ldropps

Post by Ldropps »

I've tried the honey sage Nature's Miracle, but I wasn't impressed with the scent. Maybe the other scent is better.

I think I'll try the waterless shampoo. Thank you for the information.
- Laura

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

When I do a bath my secret is to add a smaller bit of shampoo to the water. It's a lot easier to wash it all out rather than a big blob of shampoo directly into the hair.