How to get cloth diaper covers cleaner

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

How to get cloth diaper covers cleaner

Post by CarolC »

Dolly's cloth diaper covers sometimes get a urine smell that doesn't always come out in the wash. Then I have to wash them again. Pre-soaking would help, but I think the problem is they aren't getting swished well enough in the washer. I fasten the velcro on each diaper before putting it in the washer so it doesn't stick to other laundry. As soon as it starts washing, it turns into a sodden, compact lump of cloth that water does not flow through.

diaper_daisy_chain1.JPG
If I lay the diapers flat and fasten the velcro on one diaper to the velcro on the next, it makes a diaper daisy chain. Then you can fasten the velcro of the last diaper in the chain to the first, and you have a diaper circle. The water will flow through the cloth better when they are flat, not folded up. I've been doing it and the velcro is not coming undone in the wash.

diaper_daisy_chain2.JPG
diaper_daisy_chain3.JPG
diaper_daisy_chain4.JPG
The last picture is 3 diapers. She wears 3 a day, sometimes 4.
critters
Founding Member

Re: How to get cloth diaper covers cleaner

Post by critters »

That's a good idea. You know they make solid and liquid perfume-type products for laundry that can help, too.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:thankyou:
There's a guy on another message board with an avatar that says, "STAND BACK, I'M GOING TO TRY SCIENCE." :lol: It does seem to be helping.

Are the ones you're talking about hypoallergenic? Lysol makes a Laundry Sanitizer that's tempting, but I'm a little hesitant with the long chemical names. I see the price has gone down. It used to be $11 at Walmart, which was too much to spend on something you don't know if you're going to like, so that was another reason I never tried it. Maybe it was a different size.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBFHFZN
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I have NO idea. My sister uses both sanitizers and perfumes, depending on the load.