Animax Ointment for female diaper dog

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
CarolC

Animax Ointment for female diaper dog

Post by CarolC »

Dolly wears a diaper 16 hrs a day, and from time to time she'll get redness and swelling in her little girl area. The vet gave us Animax Ointment. I squirt a little bit on the pad of her diaper where it will contact her girl parts, and then put her diaper on. By about the 3rd diaper change she looks better already. Hope this helps someone! :)
https://vcahospitals.com/shop/product/animax-ointment wrote: Active ingredients nystatin, neomycin sulfate, thiostrepton, triamcinolone acetonide
critters
Founding Member

Re: Animax Ointment for female diaper dog

Post by critters »

Hmm. Why not put it right on her butt? Just curious...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I guess I could. I'd end up touching the area with my fingers (potential germs). But I wash my hands before a diaper change because I'm pressing the new pad into the diaper with bare hands, and you would hope the ointment would take care of any germs, right? I'd have to lift her rear a little and then slide on the diaper before her bottom-with-ointment touched the blanket and rubbed off the med. And I'd have to be sure I didn't rub off the ointment while getting the diaper in position. I'd have one finger with ointment on it then when trying to put her diaper on and fasten it. But it could be done. Doing it by squirting ointment on the pad has drawbacks, too. You have to be careful not to smear the ointment when getting her tail through the tail hole. The best way to put on her diaper and get it straight on the first try is holding her in my right arm and putting it on in midair, but often she is resting when I change her and I don't pick her up. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Use a glove. I would anyway, cuz I don't like gooey on me, and that kind of stuff tends to be particularly hard to get off. If the cream were put on thoroughly I wouldn't worry too much about some wiping off or smearing; it won't all come off. I'd prefer that to the hit-or-miss of hoping to smear it where it needs to be with the pad or diaper.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The glove would be more sanitary, wouldn't it.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I suppose, but exam gloves aren't meant to be sterile.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Good point. :smart:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

And they don't need to be. You can buy surgical gloves at certain places, probably pharmacies, vets, and special orders, but I'd think they'd be overmuch here. Maybe for inserting urinary catheters or something...