Urinary: nightmare pee every night, might need to put to sle

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
vincent chang

Urinary: nightmare pee every night, might need to put to sle

Post by vincent chang »

We have an old dog who over the past year has started to pee constantly in his cage. If we're not home to let him out every 1-2 hrs, he pees or poops in his cage. He wakes us up every night to go as well. Vet gave us stuff for possible kidney infections, etc. but nothing helps.

Cleaning this up 2-3 times a day is impossible and we don't think it's really behavioral...we're at the point where we may need to put him to sleep although we don't want to. Any ideas? i think he'd chew the diapers off if we put them on him, plus that's insane to change them 2-4 times a day too.
Friend2Dogs

Re: Urinary: nightmare pee every night, might need to put to

Post by Friend2Dogs »

They make things for boy dogs called belly wraps, they are washable and you buy at PetSmart. I would put a pad made for human urine inside the wrap. It fits snug around the belly and he can not get off. You do not have to change it evey two to three hours either. I would also talk to the vet and see if his medicine needs changed. I lost my Mason July 6th and I would dearly love to change his diaper opr belly wrap again.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

There are quite a few here that would disagree that changing a diaper a few times a day is insane. I dont' know of a magic bullet that is going to make your sweet dog stop having accidents. Have you checked kidney function? Is he on a med like prednisone that might be doing this? Has his water intake increased? Has he been checked for Cushings disease? I'm sorry you feel he is so hard to deal with. I have a paralyzed dog that I have to express several times a day, and I have to clean up his poop several times a day, and I'm just greatful to have him. I hope someone here has the answer for you.
Cindi
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

I wonder if a medication called Proin 75 would help the excessive urination. It's a product for urinary incontinence in dogs. I would get an opinion from another vet, preferably a vet school. Sometimes these things happen in old dogs...and old people!! If you love him, and he's a family member, then perhaps you could find a way to not see it as an inconvenience, but as a labor of love. Sometimes changing one's outlook makes all the difference! I'm wondering if he's not emptying his bladder completely each time. That would make him go more often. You might have a vet check to see if his bladder is empty. If you have to express him a couple times a day, he may not urinate so frequently. If that's the case, expressing him before you go to bed might allow you to get some sleep!!! I hope he doesn't get scolded, because if he's always been housebroken, this is very distressing to him, too, because he knows he's not supposed to do that. Your dog lives to try and please you!!!
Karen Hudgin

Post by Karen Hudgin »

I am new to all this, but please listen to all of these people here! They know what they are talking about. 2-3 weeks ago our dog ruptured her disc. They wanted us to put her down 1 week today as a matter of fact. We brought her home and she will never walk again. I asked people here for help in what to do. Evertything they have said is true. One lady wrote it took her dog 8 months and there was improvement. I got off track sorry. Since we brought Paisley home she has not been able to control her bladder or her bowels. We made adjustments (it was not easy) in our lifestyle but never the less living with our her was much more painful than a few pee's and poops. They said she most likely will not gain control of her bladder and bowels. We started testing her for infection and sure enough she had an infection and we started to give her anti-biotics and guess what she has not leaked or pooped without assistance. So we empty her bladder (it's not too hard) and she has not messed on her bed since. Ok we have only been doing this 6 days but we are learning each day we find a little trick that helps us through. Engunitiy goes along way! Thanks all will keep you posted on Paisley but our hands are full...she is a going concern! I have to post pictures of this past weekend it shows her enthusiasm for life!

Not time to let go!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Well, I've been dealing with it for 2 years *PIC*

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

and am tickled to be able to. I know you aren't used to it, so it's an adjustment. But lets explore some solutions. As mentioned above, the male wraps work wonderfuly and should give you some peace.
As also stated, pup could use a work up to find out the medical reasons.
One thing I would strongly recommend is giving him an area surrounded by an ex-pen, with a $10 roll of vinyl remnant underneath. Put bedding in one area, and a bath rug in another, where he can do his business. That way you can simply pick up solids, and toss rest in washing machine.
That's what I do with GabrielDeafBlindPup. He cannot negotiate the steep staircase that leads outside and my bones are not strong enough to carry him without us both going headfirst down stairs (which I have done... hurt like the dickens). So Gabriel has one area where he does all his business. A shower curtain topped by a bath rug and some old pillow cases. Everything can be tossed in the washer, and the carpet stays fresh.
This old boy loves you and he doesn't like this either. Please love him through this and if you can find out the why, maybe you can find out what may help...
I couldn't fathom life without GabrielDeafBlindPup and to put him down because he's more work than the others would be unthinkable. He gives me much more than I could ever give him. He is my life...

annora tiley

Post by annora tiley »

Cindy,

Flint no longer has the use of his back legs and one theory is that he has Lumbo sacral disease. He weighs 27/28 kilo's and due to my neck problems and my husbands heart problems we cannot lift him very often. He is on MSM and Glucosamin. Talking to my Vet he said that his pooh should be firm and normal, this showed that he was retaining his food long enough in the body to gain from the nutrients also to put him a a food specially designed for senior dogs, he is 12 years old. He also said that if I noticed that his pooh was soft to give him Immodium, which is a tablet for diarrha. This I did last night and this morning he has chronic diarrha.
No one has ever shown me how to express his urine correctly and I worry that I may not be doing it right can anyone elaborate please, as this sometimes has to be done when he is lying down. The other thing that is worrying me is the fact that not all older dogs will take to a wheelchair and they are not cheap. How do all of you who do not have wheel chairs and have large dogs cope. What about pressure sores etc. I would also like to have a response from people who have tried the wheelchairs and have good or bad opinions of them.

Thankyou........Annora
Carol T.

About wheelchairs

Post by Carol T. »

I can only speak of my experience with my English Setter's cart. It's from Eddie's Wheels. I have to believe that dogs who have lost their mobility would take to the cart when they discover it allows them some freedom. My Bogie was a little hesitant for awhile, but needed no coaxing. Some people use treats to bribe them at first. Without the cart, Bogie can't stand or walk. Once I discovered that he prefers to have his feet down and pretty much allowed him to go where HE wanted without the leash, he took right to it! We began with short walks and now can go for long ones!! I have to try and stay beside him because he could get hung up on something. This doesn't happen often, but has a time or two. I find it strange that his hind legs are useless when I use the Bottoms Up leash, but he uses them while in the cart! There are a couple times I've had to run after him!! Manufacturers suggest that a dog not be left in a cart longer than two hours at a time, and they have to be supervised while in it. When your dog discovers he can go for walks and do some of the things he did previously, I think he will love it. I will never regret postponing a new computer in order to get Bogie his wheels!!!
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Do you have a harness? Harnesses make moving, turning and walking a dog much easier. Wheelchairs make life MUCH easier for both the dog and their humans. http://www.eddieswheels.com/index.html
This link is to eddie's carts. Notice the BIG dogs that are using the carts with ease! Also, expressing and poop on demand are eaiser with the dog in the standing position that a cart allows.
Expressing really can not be TAUGHT in a post. I suggest you have your Vet show you how to do it. If you express him before bed, I bet he could make it most of the night without an accident.
One dose of Immodium is not going to stop the diarrhea. You may need to give it for a day or two, and you might try boiled chicken and rice as his diet untl his tummy settles down.
What medication is he on?
Cindi
Marlene

Post by Marlene »

Hi: You might want to try this:

Fresh Freeze-Dried Cranberry - Brand Eclectic Institute.

Your friend may have a bladder infection and this goofs up the entire system. The dosage will depend on size of dog. Look of the back and you can judge by the dosage for humans. It comes in a capsule. I open the capsule and mix in with plain yogurt and a little acidophilus.

The dosage at first would be three times a day for about a week then twice a day for a week then once a day for awhile.

The cranberry solves the bladder problem, the acidophilus the digestive problem. The yogurt calms the disgestive track and also adds some acidophilus. I use Jarro-Dophilus + FOS.

Both of these products can be picked up at Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, etc.

They are both safe holistic methods to try. As with any holistic treatment, it won't happen over night but this should let you see if this is a bladder infection that is causing other problems. I would bet you it is. Good Luck!