Help Needed: Flint

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
annora tiley

Help Needed: Flint

Post by annora tiley »

Hello, Flint my 12 year old Pointer seems to be gaining strength. He can now pull himself up with his front paws. He barks when he wants to pee and pooh, but sometimes when barking he pees himself.
He then licks himself and as a result his penis area is red and sore. I have been bathing it 3 times a day and using a nappy rash cream that I have always used on the dogs for any skin problems. However as fast as I put the cream on he licks it off and so we are back to square one. I put a head collar on him, but he became so distressed that I had to take it off. I believe there is an illness called Balanitis (inflamation of the penis). Does anyone know anything about this please I reassure Flint that his peeing is not a problem and make a great fuss of him, I would just like to know if anyone has any theories on the constant licking

Thank you...
Cody's FOREVER proud Mom

Re: Help Needed: Flint

Post by Cody's FOREVER proud Mom »

If Flint would tolerate it, you could put a male wrap on him to keep him from licking his genitals. Perhaps that would give the area time to heal.
annora tiley

Post by annora tiley »

Thanks Cody, I'll look into that.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

And you could use what you may have in house with some velcro or such until you get the male wrap in the mail (you can order from the dot com page)
I too have no luck with the e-surgical-collars. I got them to use as "bumpers" for the blindpups. Faggedaboudit. They move too fast and the plastic crumples on impact... not so the blindpups
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

I think that the male wrap would definitely help. Have you had him checked for a UTI?
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Excellent point Paul...licking like that could be a sign of a UTI. It would be best to take him in for a urine culture.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Shani

Post by Shani »

Is licking the first sign of a UTI?

We've been expressing him 3-4 times a day and his bedding is never wet. Hershey has been licking himself a lot, but not to the extent that he becomes irritated.

He has an appointment on Thursday to have his surgical staples removed. Do the doctors normally do some sort of check up at this time or should I request a urine culture?
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Hi Shani,

Licking could be a sign of a UTI. I also have a paralyzed dog. I used a clean jar to take a "clean catch" to the vet (refrigerate if you can't get it there within the first 2 hours). It cost me about @$26 to gat the urine analyzed for a UTI if you can't take your pup for an appointment.

I noticed that my dog also licks when his foreskin is retracted due to "fuzzies" accumulated from his blanket or dragging. As with horses, you sometimes need to wash off/clean the p*nis. The foreskin will then retract to cover it. Could that be part of the issue?

Dianne
Shani

Post by Shani »

Hmmm, that could be it. I've noticed his foreskin retracting often these past few days when we've taken him out. I'll see what the vet has to say on Thursday. :)