antibiotics--diarhea

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
jessi

antibiotics--diarhea

Post by jessi »

my dog bella has just begun taking clavamox antibiotic for a bladder infection. the morning after her first dose she began having explosive diarhea. this has continued for 2 days. i am not sure we can handle 8 more days of this mess on top of her usual fecal incontinence. should this get better? has anyone else had this problem? can we do anything to make it better? thanks...
Christine

Re: antibiotics--diarhea

Post by Christine »

Hi Jessi,

The first thing I would do is call the vet and let him/her know what is happening. In the meantime, some harmless and natural helps would be to feed Bella a little canned pure pumpkin - rice helps and also oatmeal. Good luck and take care. Some of the more knowlegeable pet parents will be along soon with more suggestions.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/index.html?S ... ~indexmain

I would call my vet. Explosive diareaha can lead to other issues like dehydration. There are other antibiotics your vet can prescribe for bladder infections.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Yes, 2 days is too long for explosive. Water down all food and taper off on food as much as possible until you can talk to doc. There are anti-diarrheals out there. My GabrielDeafBlindPup gets it from time to time. I don't know why except he can open cupboards and doors and garbage cans and get whatever his little heart desires. We call it "Gabriel's shoppin"
Cheese is good as well for firming up. But do water down everything. Believe it or not water is good for this, plus as noted, there will be dehydration.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Pam (Riley's mom)

Post by Pam (Riley's mom) »

My Lhasa had been on Cephalexin pulse therapy for quite awhile but the last time (and coincidentally a new prescription refill) he also had loose bowels and a horrible odor. After two days he began throwing up. I discontinued the Cephalexin and took him to see his doctor. She switched him to Baytril and he's okay now. Maybe your dog has a sensitivity to the medication.
jessi

Post by jessi »

thanks very much for the replies. i did talk to the vet and he recommended giving her the antibiotic with a tablespoon of yogurt each time. the probiotics help her system adjust to the antibiotics. it worked! her poo has been solid for 2 days now thank goodness. luckily she didn't get dehydrated because she drinks water like crazy. she is getting better! she tried to squat and poop yesterday though nothing came out, she went swimming in the ditch by our house and jumped down 4 stairs off our porch in excitement. i don't know if the antibiotics are making her feel better or the acupunture, but its great!
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Jessi does bella have a back issue? If so...when did it occur?
Cindi

Sage and Misty
jessi

Post by jessi »

bella got hit by a car almost 2 months ago. she fractured her last vertebra and has spinal cord damage. she walked about 10 days after her accident, though it's still kinda funny looking. she still cannot pee or poo on her own...and we are not sure that it is going to get better. she has been making a lot of improvements lately...she started moving her tail again little bits, so we are hoping that the nerves are healing.
mama of bella, mini-goldie, spinal injury 6/5/06
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Ahhhh Ok....so you express her then. I've seen puppers improve for months and months, so I'm sure she has some more healing left in her.
Hugs,
Cindi

Sage and Misty