Expressing the bladder...Am I doing something wrong?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Shani

Expressing the bladder...Am I doing something wrong?

Post by Shani »

I've been expressing Hershey's bladder 3-4 times a day, but whenever I put him back in his crate and he lays down a small amount of urine leaks out onto the puppy pad that we have in the crate.

I've been applying pressure to his bladder until it comes to a dribble, which is what we were told to do. It's not a lot of urine that leaks out, about the size of a circle that you could make if you put your thumb and your index finger together. It's also usually just a one time occurence, meaning once we put him back in the crate and he lays down, so it's not as if his bedding is soaked with urine. I should note that his foreskin usually retracts when I'm expressing him and the urine spills out when the foreskin covers his penis again.

I haven't noticed any licking in his bladder area or foul odors from his urine and he certainly hasn't lost his appetite, so I'm not sure if he's developing a UTI.

Am I doing something wrong which is leaving urine still in him? Is this "normal" or should I have him checked for a UTI?

Thanks!
Paul Coover

Re: Expressing the bladder...Am I doing something wrong?

Post by Paul Coover »

No, I don't think you are doing it wrong. Expressing is different in every pet. Usually you need to find that "magic button" to get them going. Although it is important to try to empty the bladder to avoid the dreaded UTI, as long as you are doing it several times daily I don't think that you will have a problem. It is common to have some leak out after expressing them.

The usual signs of a UTI are the foul odor, but you should also look for dark color urine, the licking, of course, and you can also see little crystals in the urine. Good luck!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Ok...I might have a solution for ya! :D
By the way, it sounds like you are doing a very good job! Now, do as you always do.. Express Hershey down to a dribble. Wait 5-10 minutes. This give the bladder time to "reform". Express again. This should get any last drips out.

Now..Oscar had an infection once, and there were NO signs...no odor, no discoloration etc etc. So....it is possible. Part of caring for a paralyzed pupper is having routine urine cultures every 3 months. If you suspect an infection...go immediately.

HUGS to you and Nose kiss for Hershey,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Cindidoxiemom wrote: Now..Oscar had an infection once, and there were NO signs...no odor, no discoloration etc etc. So....it is possible.
Cindi
Buddy's UTI had no big signs either, not even when they put it under the 'scope, yet he cultured + for E.Coli.