Peeing on her own, or what?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Mom2AnnaBelle

Peeing on her own, or what?

Post by Mom2AnnaBelle »

My poodle (AnnaBelle) had a ruptured disc and emergency surgery just 3 weeks ago. She has lost all deep pain (before the surgery) and she is paralyzed from her waist down. They had very little hope that she would regain use of her legs even before her surgery, but once they got inside and saw the bruising of her spinal cord they have basically said that it is very doubtful. She came home with a catheter for the first 2 weeks. The first 24 hours after it was removed, my husband and I neither one were able to express her bladder. We took her back to the vet and they were not able to get anything out either. They said she felt empty and put her on Clavamox for a probable UTI. The very next day she filled her diaper with urine and has been doing so several times per day. I assumed this was good news, and that we would not need to express her as long as she continued to empty so well. I have not contacted my vet about this either .... again assuming all is well!

My question to anyone here is this .... since she is not having to be expressed, and she is not "dribbling" from an over-full bladder and leakage ... is this a good sign that she is gaining control of her bladder? OR .... is it just her bladder reacting by nature's way as the bowels do? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kim
CarolC

Re: Peeing on her own, or what?

Post by CarolC »

Mom2AnnaBelle wrote: My question to anyone here is this .... since she is not having to be expressed, and she is not "dribbling" from an over-full bladder and leakage ... is this a good sign that she is gaining control of her bladder? OR .... is it just her bladder reacting by nature's way as the bowels do? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!Kim
That's a difficult question. It is impossible to know without being able to feel her bladder.

Some spinal injuries cause a dog to dribble urine and the dog is easy to express, while other spinal injuries cause a tight urinary sphincter and the dog does not dribble and is harder to express. If the dog has a tight sphincter, when the bladder becomes overfull pressure builds up and it can empty a lot when it finally releases. This does not mean she is emptying fully or voluntarily.

So your dog may be emptying voluntarily, causing several big wet spots during the day, or your dog may be overfilling until she overcomes a tight sphincter, causing the same thing. This does not answer your question.

I would consult with the vet about it. On some dogs it is hard to tell how full the bladder is, especially if they are overweight. Your antibiotics should help treat or prevent infection, but it is also important not to let the bladder become stretched or she may not have normal control even after the nerves heal. Therefore it is best to find out for sure if she is overfilling. I'm sorry not to have a definite answer.
Mom2AnnaBelle

Post by Mom2AnnaBelle »

Thank you for the information. I am going to check with my vet again tomorrow! I would hate to think that she is overfilling and leaking that much!!!! But I do check her diaper several times per day and take her outside as well. I really have had a difficult time feeling her bladder. I guess it's just going to take time and practice ... but hopefully my vet can give me more advice tomorrow!

Thanks again!
Kim
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Another good thing about expressing is lessening the chance of scalding, as you've heard, so I suggest keeping after expressing. I found Buddy's bladder right between his hips; it feels like a water balloon. Another possibility is that if she leaks continuously, there might not be enough pee in her bladder to make it easy to feel, especially at the beginning. Eventually you can (usually) find it full or empty.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Hi and Welcome,
I have to express my Oscar three times a day, and he is a bugger to express. I know my vet put him on phenoxybenzamine. It helps relax his sphincter, so I can express him. I will say, if your dog is deep pain negative, chances are she is not emptying her bladder voluntarily. It isn't impossible, just not likely. I think you are wise to make a trip to the vet to have things checked.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty