looking to hear from those who've used procrit

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
VictoriaCIC

looking to hear from those who've used procrit

Post by VictoriaCIC »

We're in the process of discussing ways to treat my CRF kitty, Indy's, CRF related anemia. My vet suggested injectible procrit and I'd love to hear from others who have used this medication. Any experience...good or bad.
Thanks so much,
Victoria
CIC
critters
Founding Member

Re: looking to hear from those who've used procrit

Post by critters »

I've also posted your message link to VetPet; if anybody sends me a response, I'll post it to you.
Jean

Re: looking to hear from those who've used procrit

Post by Jean »

Hi Victoria,
About 15 years ago I had a cat named Muffit who had CRF. She develop a very low PCV and was placed on Procrit. She had over 60 shots and did well for many months (Sorry I don't remember how long - it has been so long.) On the Procrit we were able to maintain her PCV at around 35.
As her disease progressed the Procrit became ineffective. In the Plumb Veterinary Drug Handbook it mentions that Procrit in about 30% of cases becomes ineffective with the result being that the patient develops antibioties significant to cause profound anemia.
Veterinary medicine has progressed so much since then. My vet had never used Procrit before and I often wonder if he was knowledgeable enough to adequately treat her.
We also used LRS 2x a day. Muffit eventually developed liver failure due to her inappetance and I sent her on to Heaven.
I remmeber that it was necessary to monitor her blood levels frequently and that the Procrit was very expensive.
GOOD LUCK with Indy!!!!!!!!!!!! /Jean