Link/advice on how to express a kitten/cat?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
dexnleilaOH

Link/advice on how to express a kitten/cat?

Post by dexnleilaOH »

Well my little foster girl Lilly is indeed incontinent. She is bouncing around on her hind legs like a little bunny, when she really wants to get somewhere quick!
She drags them behind her most of the time but can walk on them.
Are there any links for expressing a cat? I have my Sam who has a neurologic bladder, she's a beagle though! Would cats be the same? Is Lilly too tiny for me to be expressing her? She is a month old.
I am going to let the rescue know she is not any better, they will probably say they want to euth her.

Maureen
He is your friend, your defender, your partner, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -Unknown
critters
Founding Member

Re: Link/advice on how to express a kitten/cat?

Post by critters »

Have you seen the expressing page? All the poop/pee links are here. http://www.handicappedpets.com/help/viewtopic.php?t=4
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Why would the rescue group even consider pts for a healthy kitten who just needs a different way of using the bathroom? If she is only four weeks old, she would have just started to learn to urinate on her own - her mom would still be stimulating her to go. And kittens don't gain full control over the bladder muscles until 8 to ten weeks if they are perfectly normal kittens.

I missed the first post of this kitten's problems - can someone let me know where it is? Was she injured or does she have a birth defect where she isn't voiding? I'm still thinking this kitten probably could be 'expressed' just by stimulation like her mom would have done and then as she gets a little older you can begin to see if she really needs to be expressed at which time your vet will show you how to do it with the right pressure. At her age the amount of urine she will produce will be so small that absorbent towels and/or doggie pee pads should take care of things. They even sell premie diapers at Walmarts now.

But unless the kitten is severely injured and/or in pain, at 4 weeks I'd never let anyone demand she be euthanized. There are many on this list who have been expressing cats, kittens, puppies and dogs, often more than one furred family member, who will be glad to help you learn to care for a special needs kitten. We have three in diapers and care is actually easier than scooping litter boxes. There is an excellent yahoo group too for those with paralyzed felines, many of whom require bladder expression.

Cats who need to be expressed can and do live long and healthy lives - there are several here on this group that have been expressing their furchild for seven or more years. Once you get the 'hang of it' even UTI's are rarely a problem. So, spend some time looking at the links that Critters posted, possibly join the feline paralysis group, read the replies that your email will generate over the next few days, talk to a second vet before you make a decision. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Okay, I remember this one. So I'm still confused as to why it is thought the kitten is incontinent and/or needs to be expressed. Kitten is four weeks old and may just be developing slower than the others. Could also have mild to moderate CH and as such they often take a bit longer to accomplish normal cat things that the others will do. With the tail nub, I doubt that it is manx syndrome or spina bifida. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
dexnleilaOH

Post by dexnleilaOH »

She is the only kitten that has urine on her fur. If it isn't just leaking out,as with incontinence, why is it there?
I have Sam because the rescue we were fostering her for wanted to euth her, because of her bladder and bowel problems. This is the same rescue we are fostering the kittens and momma cat for. Believe me, they will want to euth her.
Perhaps I don't need to be expressing Lilly now, but if she stays here as a permanent foster, I was looking for links and info about it. I'll check out the link, I was running out the door on the way to work when I typed my original post.
Thanks!
He is your friend, your defender, your partner, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -Unknown