Incontintent dog - advice needed!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
miranda

Incontintent dog - advice needed!

Post by miranda »

Hello everyone. I am a new user to the site and hope that some of you will be able to give me some advice regarding our disabled dog.
Our 7 year old labarador dog, Lennie, suffered a Type III disc extrusion in March which left him paralysed in his hind legs. He is now walking again and able to pee on his own. He was always able to poo on his own, but it was a case of getting the urge and having to go! He is able to hold his pee until we take him out, however his pooing has not improved at all. Most of the time he will go either in the house or car, even though the door is open to the garden or we have just been out for a walk. I am not sure if this is now a matter of re-training? Any advice would be very welcome.
Lennie's mum - helping him recover from Type III disc extrusion
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Incontintent dog - advice needed!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, I can't speak to the injury, but others will be along shortly who have experience. But you can protect your floors, with plastic table cloth from dollar store, covered with bathmat or sheet - all things you can toss in the wash.
Is his stool solid or soft or runny?
A runny stool has a mind of its own :(
WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
miranda

Post by miranda »

I must admit that since Lennie had his accident I have been VERY careful about what he eats! He comes to work with me and my colleagues have al been asked to lay off the treats - just in case something doesn't agree with his constitution and results in a runny tummy. Luckily he is fairly soild most of the time and is sticking to a diet that agrees with him.
Thaks for the reply - all info is useful :-)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. Maybe you could use the poop-on-demand or diapering info from here. http://www.handicappedpets.com/help/viewtopic.php?t=4
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

First let me say...my dog Oscar's was a type III...he remains paralyzed but thankfully alive. YOU are VERY LUCKY to have a dog that is walking and able to use his bladder.

By the way...level IIIs aren't really extrusions...they are explosions of the material onto the spine. Oscar was fine and then completely down within 30 minutes.

My guess is his pooping was never voluntary. Oscar can poop, but it happens when his system is full and the colon pushes...HE dosen't know when it is going to happen. I bet Lennie doesn't know either.

Sometimes nerves reconnect in one place faster than others. Try critters' suggestion of poop on demand.

Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
miranda

Post by miranda »

When we collected Lennie from the hospital, which luckily for us was the best one in the UK for neurological injuries, they thought he had a 20% chance of walking again. We were in a very fortunate position that he could come to work with us and that we can give him the 24/7 care that he needed. Since I posted the request for advice he seems to have made another leap forward, and fingers crossed, he appears to be able to now wait until he gets outside before going to the toilet. :)
connie

Post by connie »

hi and welcome miranda,
i am so happy your pet can walk and pee on it's own, that is amazing. as far as poop. my cricket had surgery last nov. for disk and he still doesn't know when they will move. what i do is feed him, then play so he runs a bit. then about 30 minutes later his bowels will move. he just needs the excerise. be ever so grateful yours is recoverd as it is. most of us here ,our pets are still paralyzed. happy tho. mine is recovering slowly, but surely. the best of luck to you.
hugs,
connie and cricket