"Poop on Demand" question

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Christine

"Poop on Demand" question

Post by Christine »

Bailey has been on a new round of supplements and medication fo treat her for protozoa myelitus (sp). The result has been a decrease in appetite and slow bowel movements.

When I contacted the vet, she changed one of the medications that she felt was causing this and suggested that I give her an enema. Never having this kind of problem before, I had no experience, did not want to upset her, but knew I had to do something. All the posts here in that regard helped so much. I took her outside with the Fleet enema bottle, purposely did not warm the water, lifted her tail and just squirted her butt and it was like magic! I still don't know who was more relieved and surprised, Bailey or me.

My questions is this: Does doing this type of thing on a regular basis for a temporary problem cause them to no longer go on their own? I know it sounds stupid to ask this, but I don't want to cause another problem down the road. It is so very helpful to know that they have deficated, plus I don't stay awake all night listening for her tags tinkling worrying that she needs to go out.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Re: "Poop on Demand" question

Post by CarolC »

Christine wrote:My questions is this: Does doing this type of thing on a regular basis for a temporary problem cause them to no longer go on their own? I know it sounds stupid to ask this, but I don't want to cause another problem down the road. It is so very helpful to know that they have deficated, plus I don't stay awake all night listening for her tags tinkling worrying that she needs to go out.
Hi Christine,

I don't think so, but I can't give you a good reason why I say that. She is still using her muscles to evacuate, you just triggered the reflex (loved the story). Have you considered getting her on a stool softener? The one my dog takes is called lactulose syrup. It really is a softener, it does not cause a mess like you get with laxatives or enemas. My vet has it in 2 flavors, I just measure a little bit and put it in a small bowl or lid and she loves it. It smells like cake mix. It's not something you have to administer, just put it in front of the dog and they think you gave them a treat. A bottle is about $12 and lasts a long time. If you keep things soft, she may have better luck going on her own.
Christine

Re: "Poop on Demand" question

Post by Christine »

Thanks, Carol. Strangely, I picked up a six pack of Boost when I was at the pharmacy for her new medication thinking I could entice her to eat with it (I asked the pharmacist if he saw any problem in giving it to her.) I got the vanilla flavor which also smells like cake mix. She loves it, so I put both her powdered and liquid supplements in it and she laps it right up. After that first evacuation, her poops have been softer, but I did ask the vet about getting the lactulose to keep on hand.

Right now, the only other thing I am concerned about is that she is having trouble holding a squat when she urinates. When she had the vestibular problem, she really did not like the hip sling, but would let me hold her up with my hand. Now, as soon as she starts losing it and I touch her, she just stops going. I am going to take the hip sling out tomorrow and start from scratch again. I realize I may have to learn to express her this week as well. We go back to the vet later this week.

The most bizarre thing about all of this right now is that when I take her for a walk, she trots like a pony, but when we stop, she has trouble holding the squat. When we get back into the house, she leans up against the couch for a few minutes as if to gather herself and then sits down very gingerly. If I touch her near her ears or neck at this time, she snaps (absolutely not my Bailey). Other times, she loves to have her neck and head massaged. The vet says that the protozoa can affect the spine and is very unpredictable as to what is sensitive and when.

Apologize for going on, but you know how we are! Thanks for the advice and, as always, for listening.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08