Urinary Crystals

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Pam (Riley's mom)

Urinary Crystals

Post by Pam (Riley's mom) »

I’m hoping someone here can help me make a decision. Riley was on pulse therapy with Cephalexin but after quite some time developed loose bowels and a metallic smell while taking it. In July, his vet changed his medication to Baytril for the pulse therapy. Recently I noticed what appeared to be blood around the rim of his urine stains. Tests showed that although he does not have actual crystals, he does have lots of crystal pieces. Passing these pieces may be causing the blood in his urine. He did not have these crystal pieces prior to July when his medication was changed to Baytril. In my research of Baytril today I found that it may cause crystals. Although these are not the typical crystals that dogs develop, Baytril can actually cause stones. So now I’m concerned that he should not be on the Baytril. I’m wondering if I should give the Cephalexin another try and hopefully he won’t develop the side effects. I’m also considering sending his vet an e-mail letting her know what I discovered about Baytril and asking if perhaps there is a different medication he can take. I don’t want to risk her inferring that I think I know more than she does but I want to be sure that Riley receives the best care possible. My mind has been swimming since we got the test results and I can't seem to get a clear grasp of the situation. Any response from someone on this board will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
CarolC

Re: Urinary Crystals

Post by CarolC »

Pam (Riley's mom) wrote: He did not have these crystal pieces prior to July when his medication was changed to Baytril. In my research of Baytril today I found that it may cause crystals. Although these are not the typical crystals that dogs develop, Baytril can actually cause stones. So now I’m concerned that he should not be on the Baytril.
I agree.
I’m wondering if I should give the Cephalexin another try and hopefully he won’t develop the side effects.
If you're sure the side effects were from the Cephalexin, then I wouldn't try it again.
I’m also considering sending his vet an e-mail letting her know what I discovered about Baytril and asking if perhaps there is a different medication he can take. I don’t want to risk her inferring that I think I know more than she does but I want to be sure that Riley receives the best care possible.
Let's see. On the one hand I can keep my mouth shut and not risk offending the vet, but my dog will suffer.

On the other hand I can give the vet the information and risk the relationship, but my dog will be healthy.

Riley votes you tell her.
Pam (Riley's mom)

Re: Urinary Crystals

Post by Pam (Riley's mom) »

Thanks Carol. I knew in my heart I should talk to her but I wasn't sure if anyone else would think so. It was just such a surprise and scare to find out he was full of crystal pieces with no infection present. I am actually feeling panic about this because it's not in keeping with his usual scenario and he has been so easily tired lately.