new to this.... need help with incontinent kitty

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
tonkineselady

new to this.... need help with incontinent kitty

Post by tonkineselady »

I have a 16 year old scottish fold cat named, "Kasey"... several months ago he was having trouble and I had the money to take him to the vet and he was having kidney problems. Well for the last several weeks he has been losing weight and has diahreah, but now you can tell he is "losing control" because I am cleaning his mess up on rugs. I do not have the money to take him to the vet right now and I am trying to help him the best I can. I do not want to put him to sleep because I am not a throw away pet owner and he is acting like himself and eating. I just ordered a sample of a pet diaper from the site where I heard about this message board. I need help with how to handle his problem at home. What to expect with diapers... what stuff should I use to clean him up with, etc. I have never had this problem before.
Sincerely,

~Tonkineselady~
critters
Founding Member

Re: new to this.... need help with incontinent kitty

Post by critters »

If you're going to use diapers, you'd do well to shave his butt and use a skin barrier, such as Cavilon http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!ut/ ... FQEAAmqJNo! , now widely available as 3M first aid spray. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... tingSpray/

This will keep poop and pee from burning his skin and causing more problems.
tonkineselady

Post by tonkineselady »

Hi there... I appreciate the link, but since it is a people product.... will it hurt Kasey?
Sincerely,

~Tonkineselady~
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

No. It's just a skin barrier; people and critters have been using it here for years.