Blocked Cat,twice in 3 days- STURVITES, not eating HELP!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

thoughts on chronic blockage

Post by Bendy Kitty »

if there is urine, he isn't blocked - and that IS good news.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the urine was bloody, the crystals can cause bleeding, the infection can cause bleeding, the inflamation can cause bleeding, so between all of those there will be some red urine. it isn't a good thing but it isn't something to get completely wigged out over and certainly not something to put him to sleep over.

we've been down a similar road as you are on, the vet who did the PU surgery on our Legume (2nd time, first time closed over - argh) wanted to put him down insisting we could never care for him. Mom stood up as tall as she could and YELLED at that vet that yes she could and would care for him that she had done a lot of research on caring for cats with his condition (he was incontinent from a spinal break) and the vet was stunned and did the surgery. we never went back to that clinic as we had other problems with them, but this is just to say that you hafta be forceful sometimes!

When the vet says "oh, you should consider putting him to sleep" you stand up right in their face and say "NO. I will not give up on him just because he is going to need more care and worry and work than he used to. I love him and will do everything I can for him. I am researching his problem and reading everything I can, I am talking to other people who have pets with this problem. I know it can be managed."

we found it helpful to keep a log on any animal with a chronic condition. what we would do if we had your furbaby is
1) write down whenever you find urine, its color and about how much (enough to wet his side, small puddle, whatever)
2) write down when he eats and how much
3) write down how active he has been during the day (played with favorite toy for 15 min, ran and jumped in and out of windows...)
4) write down how much he drinks & how often (took a few laps, sucked down water, played with the water ad licked his paws...)
5) write down when you find a bm and its consistency
6) write down if you find any vomit or anything else unusual.

this will let you see patterns, and let your vet see patterns (and show them you are dedicated).

I'd say since he is eating that he is definitly feeling better.
Expressing can be hard to learn, glad you have a tech friend to check his bladder. that is a big help! maybe she can help you express him, too.

Get some pH strips and monitor the pH of his urine, you want it to be about 6.5 I think (slightly acidic). See if your vet will give you some of the urinalysis strips they use, then you can keep tabs on not just his urine output but also the "quality" - they are simple dip strips, they have little pads that turn different colors and a guide to reading them on the bottle. Then you will be able to say "ok, he is making his urine just fine - good concentration - but the pH is a bit high and there is microscopic blood in it"

i don't remember offhand all the things that are on the strips. Sometimes once a vet sees how dedicated a person is, they are willing to work with them. Our vet said to us "you have to understand my point of view, most people aren't like you. They don't want the extra work, they don't want to have to do anything hard, they aren't willing to learn how to do all of the things you can do."

I'd say priorities right now are that he is eating, drinking, and peeing. Keep him on the UR diet, don't let him get anything else since he clearly has a very sensitive bladder!!!!
After he has managed to stay unblocked for say a week, start looking into bladder management meds and suppliments. cranberry, Methigel, elavil, these are the three that jump to mind, but worry about them later - right now just worry about getting him to pee for 7 days straight. I think that is a good goal to have for yourself. Often you have to break things dow into little bits to be able to accomplish them.

I'm very glad you found this board and hope that I can be of some assistance with what experience I've had.

headbonks ad purrs

bendy kitty
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
sacredcreatures

Re: thoughts on chronic blockage

Post by sacredcreatures »

Thanks Bendy Kitty for all that info. Alot I knew but because its my baby were talking about I wasn't thinking good. I have been keeping a Journal about everything you mentioned. BUT I must tell you and everyone the Greatest News!!!!!!! SUNDANCER ISN"T BLOCKED ANYMORE! But he still has a big bladder and drips urine so I called the Vet and I asked if I could bring him in for a check over and the Vet expressed him and his urine is CLEAR, And flowing great. Now we need to get his bladder to function again. So They gave me a new medication called Bethanechol to help the bladder contract. He is a real hard cat to express and it takes two people. Even the Vet told me that so they said they will express him for free everyday until he gets his function back. They are pretty sure that its just from having a full bladder and the elastisity(sp) isn't as it was but they think he will get it back. So they are fairlly sure he does NOT have incontinence! I pray he will be fine. He did vomit today which scared me but they said since he isn't blocked they do not think its anything to worry about but if he continues then they will address it. So I am measuring his distilled water intake, I also add distilled water to his UR canned food. He gets no other type of food. He is on several medications. But I am to stop the Metcam and add the new meds. I will continue to post about his progress and I want to Thank Everyone who has given advice , support, kind and understanding with Sundancer, Onyx and me. By the way even Onyx is walking a tad better. I hope the problems with Sundancer will lessen so I can save up some money or find help to get the tests done for Onyx's hind end problems. I pray she will walk better again but the most important thing is to find out her exact problem so I can do all I can to help her have a good life!!! Purrs, Paws and Hugs from us!!!!!!!
Deborah~
&
Grand Champion Sacredpurr's Sundancer
CFA Red Classic Tabby Manx Male

Nikiya's Voodoo Black Magic "Onyx"
AKC Black German Shepherd Female
Retired Search and Rescue Ground Scent Dog
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Perineal Urethrostomy - PU

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

FYI, that's what Buddy had.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Ornery tom cats can be expressed alone, too. There's nobody else here, so Buddy and I had to make do. I scruffed him with my R hand and rolled him onto his back (since he's spinal cord injured, I padded the floor well). I then held him there and expressed him with my L hand. It worked!
sacredcreatures

Hi Critters! Hes not mean or anthing like that! He is STRONG! The Vet who expressed him yesterday said there was no way a single person could do it. It took one person to hold him and the Vet to express him. She said her hand cramped doing it. She says he tightens his abdomen and since he is a Big boy and round, He is a Purebred Manx* there is nothing to hold onto. Yes he trys to get away once the pressure is put on his bladder but he will not bite or scratch. Since he was a show cat he has manners but still he just is a strong boy. I was a Vet tech for 20 years before I got MS and I am unable to do it without help. I have done many cats in my day and some were Monsters, biting, scratching, twisting and trying to get away when I would express them but I could do it sometimes by myself and sometimes another tech would help. Anyways it doesn't matter now with him because I can take him in and have it done if needed. We are hoping the meds that were given to help the bladder contract start working and he goes by himself.
Deborah~
&

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

sacredcreatures wrote: Now we need to get his bladder to function again. So They gave me a new medication called Bethanechol to help the bladder contract. He is a real hard cat to express and it takes two people. Even the Vet told me that so they said they will express him for free everyday until he gets his function back. They are pretty sure that its just from having a full bladder and the elastisity(sp) isn't as it was but they think he will get it back.
I am not a vet and I am not trained in medicine, so be sure to check anything I say with your vet.

Here is what my Pill Book Guide to Medication for Your Dog and Cat says exactly:

"Bethanechol should only be used when the urethra is open, as when a catheter is in place, or with urethral relaxants because bethanechol can cause contraction of urethral smooth muscle as well. Theoretically, the bladder could rupture if bethanechol is given when the urethra is blocked, or in spasm."

If you use phenoxybenzamine with bethanechol, the phenoxybenzamine will relax the sphincter and the bethanachol will help the bladder contract. Using bethanechol alone without any medication to relax the sphincter makes it possible for a contraction to rupture the bladder if the sphincter doesn't open properly. More so if he reblocks. I have also heard of Inderol being used as a relaxant instead of phenoxybenzamine.

Here is another source cautioning against using bethanechol where urinary obstruction is an issue. I realize he is now "flowing freely". I don't know how likely it is he might block again.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/bethane ... oride.html
sacredcreatures

Thanks for the info, Yes he is on both meds and monitored daily. I was told to stop the Metcam because it would cause a conflict with it. He is still fully open and still dripping urine but not as much. He did go in his cat box today and it was more than usual. I took him it at 5pm to be expressed and checked. He was easier to express and his bladder wasn't as big. Yesterday it was the size of a orange and today about a tangerine. He is still eating well in fact he has been eating 1/2 can more also. He is acting great, active playing with his kittens and toys. He lets me know when his bed is wet so I change it 4-5 times a day. I also got some Pee Pads today. I am very happy so far with how he is doing as is the vets at the Hospital. In fact all of the Vets have been checking him and talking about his treatment. I have known the main Vets there for 10 years, I have worked with one of them so they are treating me right. They are even interested in checking my dogs condition once I can get Sundancer stable enough and some $$$. They are suggesting a MRI vs. a Myelogram. But the cost is twice as much. They feel it will show more problems in her spine area. Anyways, Thanks for all info, Because he is my baby its hard for me to focus on any Medical info I know or have some info on. I am the type of person that has to ask someone if its done right when I've done it 100 times when it comes to my own. But with someone elses pet it comes easier. I pray he doesn't reblock but there is always a possibility. Hes on the RX diet and nothing else plus distilled water. I have a good feeling now. Thanks
Deborah~
&

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

sacredcreatures wrote: Hes not mean or anthing like that! He is STRONG!
Sounds like Buddy!! :lol: Hand cramps weren't unusual in our case, either! Hmm...MS would certainly make a difference. Buddy used Bethanechol for awhile to tighten him up, and it really helped. He was sensitive to it, though, so I had to compound it to a liquid to be able to diddle his dose with enough precision.
sacredcreatures

Thanks Critters, His Bethanechol is in liquid form( thank goodness but it tasts like Cherry so hes not as fond of it! LOL! The side affects have not surfaced for us. He is actually eating more, not less and no other problems so far. I have to give it three times a day( every 8 hours) and his other meds twice a day. Yes the MS has caused many problems for me. I used to do Search and Rescue, dog handler, and MS put a stop to that and of course working as a Tech, I just couldn't handle strong animals anymore let alone having bad days where I couldn't get my arms and legs to work at all. But I manage with help from my family and friends to deal with all my animals at home.
Deborah~
&

sacredcreatures

Not wanting to urinate but Not Blocked anymore

Ok, So heres whats going on now. He has pretty much stopped leaking and he has gone in his box a few times larger amounts of urine but his bladder is still orange size every time he is expressed everyday around 4:30pm! Vet cannot figure out why he won't get all the urine out on his own when he is not blocked flowing great, urine is of good color, no blood ect. She is begining to think its neurlogical But WHY???? There is no reason for this, So after consulting with three other Vets she has once again changed his medicine. Here is what he is on: Bethanechol three times daily( every other 8 hours) Baytril once daily, and now the new medication Oxybutynin every 8-12 hours. So any info on this med would be great. We have now stopped the Phenoxybenzamine. Has anyone dealt with any of these symptoms after a cat was blocked? I am now starting to worry again because the Vet is not sure whats going on. Sundancer is getting upset that we go to the Vet everyday. He is such a good boy but starting to squirm more when in his soft crate. He has always loved to go for car rides in his soft crate because we would go to the cat show most of the time. He loved to show but now since we are going daily to the Vet he is not as happy. I sure pray he is going to get better. I love this guy Hes such a sweetheart! Thanks for listening! The picture is of my special boy Sundancer!
Attachments
This is Grand Champion Sacred Purr's Sundancer Red Classic Tabby Dimple Rumpy Male Manx
This is Grand Champion Sacred Purr's Sundancer Red Classic Tabby Dimple Rumpy Male Manx
Deborah~
&

Christine

Re: Not wanting to urinate but Not Blocked anymore

Post by Christine »

What a beautiful and soulful face! Sending healing prayers his way.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

sacredcreatures wrote: Here is what he is on: Bethanechol three times daily( every other 8 hours) Baytril once daily, and now the new medication Oxybutynin every 8-12 hours. So any info on this med would be great.
Selections from Donald C. Plumb, the Veterinary Drug Handbook, Fourth ed. (Transcribed, not scanned, may contain transcription errors, dosing info carefully proofed, red highlighting mine)

Oxybutynin Chloride

Prescriber Highlights -
-Urinary antispasmodic potentially useful in dogs or cats
-Cautions (risk vs. benefit): obstructive GI tract disease or intestinal atony/paralytic ileus, angle closure glaucoma, hiatal hernia, cardiac disease (particularly asociated with mitral stenosis, associated arrhythmias, tachycardia, CHF, etc.) myasthenia gravis, hyperthyroidism, prostatic hypertrophy, severe ulcerative colitis, urinary retention or other obstructive uropathies-Adverse effects: diarrhea, constipation, urinary retention, hypersalivation and sedation
-Drug interactions

Pharmacology - Considered a urinary antispasmodic, oxybutynin has direct antimuscarinic (atropine-like) and spasmolytic (papaverine-like) effects on smooth muscle. Spasmolytic effects appear to be most predominant on the detrusor muscle of the bladder and small and large intestine. It does not have appreciable effects on vascular smooth muscle. Studies done in patients with neurogenic bladders showed that oxybutynin increased bladder capacity, reduced the frequency of uninhibited contractions of the detrusor muscle and delayed initial desire to void. Effects were more pronounced in patients with uninhibited neurogenic bladders than in patinets with reflex neurogenic bladders. Other effects noted in lab animal studies include moderate antihistaminic, local anesthetic, mild analgesic, very low mydriatic and antisialagogue effects.

Uses/Indications -Oxybutynin may be useful for the adjunctive therapy of detrusor hyperreflexia in dogs and in cats with FeLV-associated detrusor instability.

Adverse Effects/Warnings - While use in small animals is limited, diarrhea, constipation, urinary retention, hypersalivation and sedation have been reported. Other adverse effects reported in humans and potentially seen in animals are primarily as a result of the drug's pharmacologic effects. These can include dry mouth or eyes, tachycardia, anorexia, vomiting, weakness, or mydriasis.

Overdosage/Acute Toxicity - Overdosage may cause acute CNS effects (eg., restlessness, excitement, seizures), cardiovascualar effects (e.g., hyper or hypotension, tachycardia, circulatory failure), fever, nausea or vomiting may also be present. Massive overdoses may lead to paralysis, coma, respiratory failure and death.

Drug Interactions - Other drugs with anticholinergic effects (eg., atropine, propantheline, scopolamine, isopropamide, glycopyrrolate, hyoscyamine, tricyclic antidepressants, disopyramide, procainamide, antihistamines, etc.) may intensify oxybutynin's anticholinergic effects. Other sedating drugs may exacerbate the sedating effects of oxybutynin.

Doses -
Cats -

a) 0.5 - 1 mg (total dose) PO q8-12h. Juvenile animals may require a prolonged dosing interval. (Lane 2000)
b) 0.5 - 1.25 mg per cat PO q8-12h (Osborne, Kruger et al. 2000)

I seriously doubt that the kitten has 'manx syndrome' with that much tail. Those who have spina bifida and/or MS will have no tail and actually have an indentation like a thumb print where their tails should be.

http://handicappedpets.com/help/viewtop ... 949&t=5803
sacredcreatures

Thanks Carol for that information. This medicine seems to be more what he needs although I am kinda feeling a bit odd about the side effect of urinary retention. Yet I have better news: Last night and twice today he had a fairly good size urine spot in the clumping litter, and a few small spots. we switched from the crystals to clumping litter because we already know that the color of the urine is clear and with the clumping I can see how much output he did since it clumps. I am going tomorrow morning to Costco to get the Urine PH test strips. As for Manx syndrome that is not his problem for sure since he has never had a problem with any bowel or urine in his 4 years. Plus as I am a breeder of the Manx, I have never seen it in my lines. The name itself is misleading too since any breed of cat can get it. Basically it is just a neurological problem that affects the bowel( mainly) Urine(sometimes) and hind legs. I thank you so very much for helping me with this. As I am so busy doing everything for my two hurt animals and driving daily 1 hour to the Vet. I am having a hard time getting my household stuff done. My house looks like a Trash can!!! Anyways the Vet has decided since Sundancer has started to go in the box and has more out put of urine. We will see how he does without expressing him tomorrow. I am to monitor input/output, how he acts and how big his bladder is by 2pm. If of course he isn't getting enough out and his bladder is big, I am to bring him in.

I got a lift and carry by Pet Zone at Pet Smart Yesterday. It goes alittle higher than I would like. It attaches at the chest but it does say for back end problems. Has anyone used that for their dog? I think I am gonna try to get the one online that goes around the back legs. I will try this one again to see if it will work with some adjusting and go from there. Thanks everyone for your help with my cat and dog.
Deborah~
&