Blocked Cat,twice in 3 days- STURVITES, not eating HELP!

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
sacredcreatures

Blocked Cat,twice in 3 days- STURVITES, not eating HELP!

Post by sacredcreatures »

Not sure if this is where I post this but his problems do involve kidneys and problems going to the bathroom! My Grand Champion Sacred Purr's Sundancer a Red Classic Tabby Manx Male Cat. Is back at the Vet Hosptial again. My poor boy is blocked again! He first blocked on Sat and was at the ER Vet where he was unblocked and now hes blocked again. He stopped eating last night so I rushed him in although I have $10.00 to my name. They said we can work something out Thank Goodness. But its all my fault! He was on Purina UR and was doing great and then stupid me started mixing it with the other cats food, Iams to save on money because my dog is having trouble walking and shes in bad condition we are just trying to figure out what it is she really has. A spinal Tumor, A spinal infection or DM! What ever she has she will need long term care and her nerve damage is not going to get better. So thats where we are now. I feel awful! My poor babies are sick and I can't really help them as best as I could. So my questions are for anyone with cats that have been blocked and what the long term prognosis will be. Sundancer has Struvite crystals and they first appeared in 2004 but he wasn't completely blocked, He had Cystitis and alot of sludge( their words) But in better terms it was turbid yellow urine with hematuria(blood) and the small grit of sturvite crystals. So Please I was wondering what RX's are helping other cats including the foods. My husband says that once cats block it happens all the time and maybe we should put him to sleep. WELL, I just cannot do that. Hes my baby and like I mentioned before a Grand Champion and I am darn proud of my boy!!!! I just need to hear from others. He is spending the night at the Vet hospital and maybe I can take him home tomorrow evening. I will let everyone know how he does. Thanks a million! Its so hard when two animals get sick at the same time. Deb
Deborah~
&
Grand Champion Sacredpurr's Sundancer
CFA Red Classic Tabby Manx Male

Nikiya's Voodoo Black Magic "Onyx"
AKC Black German Shepherd Female
Retired Search and Rescue Ground Scent Dog
Christine

Re: Blocked Cat,twice in 3 days- STURVITES, not eating HELP!

Post by Christine »

welcome...you will be hearing from more knowlegeable people soon. just wanted to let you know that we care and are here for you.

my bailey has had to be put on pred quite a bit over the past few years and just recently, a new vet suggested it was time to put her to sleep, i decided to give pred one more try and she made a miraculous recovery in a matter of hours (she could not hold herself up in the hip area.) one of the things i have learned here is that if you give them a pepcid 30 minutes before the pred, it protects ther stomache. for now, that is one thing i know for sure.

just hang in there and keep asking questions as well as adding any new iformation you get so they can be of more help.

sending you prayers for healing and resolutions for both of your babies. 9pls overlook typos and misspelling - broke my arm and doing this with one hand)

love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Tad got blocked over and over for awhile, then it was like he "outgrew" it. Have you tried s/d food for awhile (then you switch to c/d). Buddy, my neuro boy, is prone to UTIs, and he didn't appreciate being stuck for SQ fluids. SO...what I do is to mix a bit of canned food and a lot of water into a sloppy mess every few days. He happily drinks the gravy, and it keeps him flushed.

Have you checked with Cats in Crisis http://catsincrisis.org/ to see if they might be able to help you with the Emergency Fund?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My Buddy was blocked. His bladder exploded. Had to have 2 surgeries. One to repair the bladder, and a week later the urethroplasty. Now this was 21 years ago. He had crystals or something as I recall. Doctor may need his urethra pulled out farther, to a wider point and yes, change his diet. Male cats are prone to this I was told. You cant force the urine out as there is actual blockage.
Attachments
Chris pics 009.jpg
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
BCJeans

Post by BCJeans »

Hi, I am so sorry for your kitty. My Zack had a problem with Struvites last spring so I know how the guilt can get to you. What I have learned is that it will take a while to get him cleaned out and running normal again. From my experience I have found that getting one of those water fountians and I put distilled water in it for him to drink. Our water is very high in minerals and I think it may have contributed to his problem along with the fact that I was feeding him only dry food and he has never been a big water drinker. The fountian encourages him to drink more water and that helps dilute the minerals. He was on s/d for a while until I switched him to some other moist food for cats with ph problems. I also have decreased the number of feedings which helps his body maintain a good ph. He now eats once or twice a day and no food between.

He has been doing very well and no more problems. Be very careful not to go back to the old things that brought on the problem. God bless.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

sacredcreatures wrote: So my questions are for anyone with cats that have been blocked and what the long term prognosis will be. Sundancer has Struvite crystals and they first appeared in 2004 but he wasn't completely blocked, He had Cystitis and alot of sludge( their words) But in better terms it was turbid yellow urine with hematuria(blood) and the small grit of sturvite crystals. So Please I was wondering what RX's are helping other cats including the foods.
Solid Gold Berry Balance is advertised for struvite crystals. I do not know anyone who has used it for that, but I know several people who use it to prevent UTIs in paralyzed pets (a different problem). I don't know how effective it is for struvite crystals. You could ask the vet if it is appropriate for your cat.

http://www.loneagleacres.com/solidgold/ ... ybal.shtml
sacredcreatures

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the replies! I am heading out to get him but the Vet is still worried because she said that although she can express the bladder. The flow is not normal and there is still blood. He went on his own over night but it was a small amount and his bladder is still fairly full. She said that he may be trying to reblock again or just nervous about going there. So I am taking him home and she said that if he blocks again I may want to put him to sleep! Can you believe that? Hes four years old and has blocked twice in his life both within three days!!!! I am so upset I do not know what to do. Because Money is a big object right now since I have a partial paralized dog that I am just starting testing and treatment on. Any more thoughts are welcome/, I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE HIM!! She mentioned expressing his bladder but he is not a willing canidate at all by myself. I know you all can't come over to help but I need help. Do you all feel its possible hes witholding his urine because hes there? Because I just can't understand this. The first Vet said unblocking him the second time was simple no blood or problems then the Vet taking her place while shes out says theres blood and problems. Thanks everyone for everything and PLEASE PRAY FOR HIM!!! I am very depressed!Deb
Deborah~
&

BCJeans

Post by BCJeans »

I would get a second opinion if it was me. Some vets are too quick to give up. Study the subject more online and get a water fountian. It is a big problem now but once he gets all the crystals out of his system he can live a good happy life. Just make sure to make some changes. My cat is happy and hasn't had a problem since I made the changes I mentioned. He was in and out of the hospital about 3-4 times until I changed the way I cared for him. It was about 2-3 months before we got things under control but it can be done. Sounds like he needs to be catherized for a while.
sacredcreatures

Well hes home but he had a little accident on the way home and it wasn't Urine vomit or stool. I put him on the seat i his soft carrier and I had the car door open. He somehow moved and it fell off and he hit the driveway. I freaked, Sundancer wasn't moving, After a few seconds he sorta meowed and within a minute he was up. I was in tears! I thought he was gonna died. His pupils are the same size and he is walking OK and no signs of a head injury or fx. Now onto the other. He is on Phenoxybenzamine 2.5 mg BID, Metcam Oral 10ML bottle give .46 ml for two more days then wait several days and on 10/9 start again .11ml three times a week, and Baytril 22.7mg for 5 more days. He is back on Purina UR canned. So far( 3 hours) no urine. I am worried. But I know it will take alittle time and settling in before he will go. He is confined in a big dog plastic crate with only a cat box( with those crystals, so I can tell how much he goes and the color) a food dish and a water dish. They said he ate a whole 5.5 0z can of UR with gusto( so thats a great sign) When he blocked both times before, he didn't want to eat and when I tried to intice him and he ate a few bites, but he threw it up. So we will see. So if there is anything anyone can add to help my baby please let me know. I will keep everyone informed!!! Tx
Deborah~
&

sacredcreatures

When I mentioned him not eating much I wanted to make it clear it was last Sat and last Weds not today. Because when I reread my post it seemed like I meant today. TX
Deborah~
&

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You CAN express an obnoxious kitty alone, but I don't know that I'd do it in this case, considering he might be blocked. I'd try to keep him drinking with meat broth or even canned food well-mixed with TONS of water in hopes of diluting the minerals and flushing them out. Do you have well water? If so, you might want to have the water tested for minerals.
sacredcreatures

Hi, I found some urine in his box! Yipee! But not alot. So he isn't blocked again....yet(knock on wood) I gave him a can of UR mixed with alot of Distilled water to make a soup. He ate really well. I have always used distilled water for all my cats until recently( March when my dog become paralized). So I am sure all that( mixing his UR with Iams and giving reg tap water) caused all these new problems. I just hope if he does become blocked until Monday(If he must). Because just to walk into the ER Vet its $75.00 without anything eles done. Luckily one of the techs from my normal Vet clinic works there this weekend so she says she will feel his bladder and help me with him if needed. This cat will not let you mess with his bladder by yourself at this point, the bladder is too sore and inflammed. Plus he is not normally a great Patient. he won't bite but he won't sit still either. He is a big baby, jumps into my arms when the tech or Vet comes in the room or runs to his soft crate. Well Pray he doesn't block and the meds help him get straightened out. Thanks for writing!!!
Deborah~
&

FYI

Perineal Urethrostomy - PU

Post by FYI »

sacredcreatures wrote:Any more thoughts are welcome/, I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE HIM!!
THE PERINEAL URETHROSTOMY

Urinary blockage is almost exclusively a problem reserved for males. This is because the female urethra is shorter and broader, in short, far more difficult to obstruct. When urinary blockage becomes recurrent in a male cat, it becomes time to consider surgical reconstruction of the genitalia to create a more female-like opening. This surgery is called the Perineal Urethrostomy or “PU” for short. Basically, the penis is removed and a new urinary opening is made

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_blockage.html

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program

http://www.handicappedpets.com/help/vie ... php?t=5748 Financial Aid
sacredcreatures

Re: Perineal Urethrostomy - PU

Update: Sundancer is urinating but not sure if its enough. He is eating UR canned with distilled water added so its like soup with no vomiting, drinking distilled water, taking hid meds OK and he has had to firm bowel movements. He is not depressed and wants to play. So I feel so far hes doing OK. I will update tomorrow if there is any changes. Thank you for the info on PU. We have already considered it if he blocks again and if we can get a payment plan. But hopefully we will not need it! Thanks Everyone.
Deborah~
&

sacredcreatures

Re: Perineal Urethrostomy - PU

Hi Everyone, This is an update to the other update. Not sure if this is good or bad but Sundancer had urine on his blanket and it was enough to get his side wet so I do not know if he is leaking, incontinent or just decided to go there. But the good news it must mean he is not blocked right???? Now he is taking that pill to relax his bladder ect twice a day, so I am wondering if its now relaxed too much/ Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I will not change the dosage until after I talk to the Vet tomorrow but just any comments on if the pill is causing his new problem of bed wetting, I would at least have piece of mind. Thanks everyone for your support and prayers. I will continue to update as needed. Hugs
Deborah~
&