Cranberry Caps for Urinary Tract Health - How much to give?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
JayLu50

Cranberry Caps for Urinary Tract Health - How much to give?

Post by JayLu50 »

I am interested in giving Sylke Cranberry Capsules for her urinary tract health - but I'm not sure how much to give her every day - is one a day adequate for a 70 pound dog? Or should she be given one every 12 hours?
Sylke

Jenny and the girls Sylke, Trinka, Ava and Betsy
CarolC

Re: Cranberry Caps for Urinary Tract Health - How much to gi

Post by CarolC »

6. Cranberry tablets are good at preventing UTI's. You need a good one, like from a health food store or on line. Cranactin is a very good one. Use one capsule per 20 pounds of the regular Cranactin per day, not the super one. The ones you buy at Walmart or places like that aren't really strong enough. Solid Golds Berry Balance is good to, but it is in powder form and I found it hard to give. Remember too much cranberry can cause stones so you have to be careful.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Urinary_tract_infection

Here is the information Anita gave. I do not know the source of her info. You might stand in the health food store and look at a pet meds book if you have time. I only give CranActin (we use chewables) for a week about once a month. I think if you get Solid Gold Berry Balance, it will give the dosage because it is for pets.

[EDIT: 5/3/11 CranActin chewables now contain xylitol which is not safe for pets.]