How Does Your Vet Do a Urinalysis?

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
JayLu50

How Does Your Vet Do a Urinalysis?

Post by JayLu50 »

I was just wondering how your vet does a UA? Do they do a catch of urine and test it? The reason I ask is because I did a UA on Sylke myself - did a midstream catch and tested it at work - it came back absolutely fine - no WBC's no RBC's no protein etc. My friend stopped at the vet's today to pick up some prednisone for Sylke and the vet said the only true way to get a good sample was to insert a needle through the bladder wall from Sylke's belly and draw a sample!! Now I've worked for 2 vets and never saw them draw a sample like that. Just wondering if anyone else had this done to their animal. I would be rather hard pressed to allow her to obtain a sample that way.
Sylke

Jenny and the girls Sylke, Trinka, Ava and Betsy
FYI

Cystocentesis

Post by FYI »

JayLu50

Re: Cystocentesis

Post by JayLu50 »

Thank you for the link-I understand the procedure - I just didn't understand the necessity for it.
Sylke

Jenny and the girls Sylke, Trinka, Ava and Betsy
connie

Re: How Does Your Vet Do a Urinalysis?

Post by connie »

my vet did that only once, she said it was to get a sterile sample i think. i am lucky, almost a year and cricket has never had an infection. he won't let me express, for months i have to empty him by holding him and using damp towelette . it works, vets think i am hitting a nerve there. it is so much easier on me and him, so am thankful. it sounds so painful to get a urine samle that way, i know i couldn't stand to watch it done to him.
hugs,
connie and cricket
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

I was also told that it is necessary in order to get a sterile sample that has not traveled through the urethra and come in contact with skin and fur and debris. My vet did it on my 21-year-old cat, while I watched. She made it look easy and my cat did not seem to mind. It seemed to be easier to do and less traumatic for the cat than taking a blood sample. It is done without any need for general sedation or local anesthetic.
Barbara Boehmer (not a veterinarian, just a fellow pet owner)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Buddy has had both clean-catch and cysto (needle); others have had cystos, too. I agree with the others--it doesn't seem painful, even to a non-paralyzed critter. The bog problem with a cysto is that if blood shows up they're not sure if it's natural or from the cysto.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Oscar has had samples drawn all different ways...cysto, fresh catch at the office...and I have taken a sample. I only live 5 minutes from the office. So far all have seemed to work fine. If there was a question about results, the vet just did a cysto on top of the expression.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty